New Cincinnati 1-B ToolMaster owner/masochist - spindle bearings question.

So I don’t see anything in the manual about greasing the down feed. You literally add oil in the area so greasing wasn’t needed. But the previous owner greased it and the schmoo picked up all the metal filings and made a nice lapping compound. Huge mess.

I won’t grease the head except the motor, even the spindle bearings, they get oil as well. Oil is your friend, oil everything all the time.

I also need to fix a few handles and stops, but that will have to wait. I did install a DRO.

When you get a chance can you provide more info on the DRO?

Pictures on how you mounted the scales and what you used would be a great start.

Thanks

When you get a chance can you provide more info on the DRO?

Pictures on how you mounted the scales and what you used would be a great start.

Thanks
I went with a Ditron x/y/z, 1um (because why not!) magnetic scales and they threw in an rpm as well - dunno what I'll do with that. Will send pic this weekend when I'm back in my shop. But x scale on the top/back of the table fit nicely, will have to see if coolant/cutting oil causes any issues. Y on the milled bosses on the right side of knee. The z scale will go on curved part of column with an adjustable bracket for the reader on the knee. Did about 5 projects and the DRO seems to track fine, no mistakes yet.

When you get a chance, how long are the scales?

I guess I should have asked the table size first

When you get a chance, how long are the scales?

I guess I should have asked the table size first
My table is 10x42. The scales are 28” for the x, 18” for y, and z is in a box still. I bought mine on eBay…you can choose your lengths. Ignore the mess, my mill is half disassembled currently. I rigged up some brackets that will be fine for now but will look to make something better as I use it.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4201.jpeg
    IMG_4201.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Our tables are the same size.

I like how you mounted the display and gave me ideas on mounting a light as well.

Please keep posting your journey.

Back