New Bow Lathe Just Arrived

That's a springpole lathe that Roy uses (for one. He has treadle powered also). I still catch his reruns. Had Barnes 4 1/2 screw cutting lathe on recently (again) and showed he was not a machinist. I love to watch that show though.

I just found that Roy has his shows on youtube. I just subscribed.

Check out this episode. His guest is a true master of fine Japanese woodworking.

Chris

OK guys, no more whining about how you need all those guy toys! That’s perfection at its simplest!

When I was in Hong Kong I was totally blown away to see how they made the giant wood turned columns for the temples. The lathe if you can call it that, was just a trench in the ground with concrete masses for the head stock and tail stock. They powered the head stock with the tire of a car. Two guys jabbed a pole with a cutter on it into the trench and did the turning. Sorry no pic, I wish I had taken one…Good Luck, Dave.

Here is a good one for what you can do with what you have or can find.
Mark

Mark,

You've just nailed me with a most magnificent mindf**k! Right there below your video is your motto - "keep your hands out of the spinning things"!!!
And of course, it begs the question ... can those chess pieces actually be called "hand made"? ;~)

Many thanks for posting the video!

John, Good question. you may say he makes them hand over foot. you are welcome and my pleasure as I knew many here would enjoy this video.
Mark

Back