New Bow Lathe Just Arrived

It appears to me you need a flexiblle back, a strong left arm, soft material, sharp tools and trimmed toenails to operate that machine properly.

Very interesting and all done with one tool. I'll bet he has a cell phone.

And again I am reminded of how lucky I am to be born in this country.

I am not saying the guy doesn't have talent and skill, because he does.

I'm just grateful I can do a turning without having to go through that....

Very impressive!
On a side note, my back hurts just watching that.

It appears to me you need a flexiblle back, a strong left arm, soft material, sharp tools and trimmed toenails to operate that machine properly.

Every other week he uses his toenails, but they wear down.
I was thinking he would get an energy star rating in the U.S. That is about as green as it gets.
Pretty talented too. Most don't know this but that was how the fist lathes where powered, Drills too. Thanks for electric motors.

Remarkable how little people can get by with. No sandpaper needed at all!

I saw a video of an East Indian sitting on the side of the street. He made a complete sitar out of gourds and wood. The ebony tuning pegs were made with a lathe like that. The tapers fit,too.

George, and I have micrometer dials, protractors, and DTI. And I still have trouble making tapers.

That is impressive.

I know people with stand up electric wood lathes who don't make things as nice as that guy did with a bow drive lathe while using his foot to guide the chisel.

There used to be a TV show called the wood right shop with Roy Underhill as the host. He only uses human powered tools. He had a similar bow lathe. His lathe was driven with a foot pedal on the bottom of the bow and a spring on the top of the bow that was suspended from the ceiling. This freed up both hands to guide the chisel.

Last year I saw an antique pedal powered machine lathe. There are a lot of hobby machinists, including myself, that should get one to get in shape.

Chris

That's a springpole lathe that Roy uses (for one. He has treadle powered also). I still catch his reruns. Had Barnes 4 1/2 screw cutting lathe on recently (again) and showed he was not a machinist. I love to watch that show though.

Back