New bench grinder: cheap or just inexpensive?

Wheels are balanced with weights just like the Amazon product

You can make some offset washers that as a pair can have weight offset to equal no weight to both same to equal full weight.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody for the education. I'm going to return this one and see if the next one is any better.
I’ve been very happy with my 8” x 1” Delta (from Lowe’s on sale, but now not available - supply chain?). I would return yours to Amazon and look for a different model/vendor.

One problem with Amazon is that they don’t understand how to pack heavy objects, so I look to local for most equipment, and I order heavy objects in separate orders so they don’t pack them in a box with delicate stuff and an air bag.

It's crazy! You statically balance the wheel and chip mass from the sides with a masonry bit. But hey, some guy on youtube did it and it worked for him. Well, for one I hate it when wheels explode in my face. that'll lead you to a bad day quicker than starting off with an empty roll of pandemic paper. No sir, I find that dressing the wheel will bring it into balance. If not, then re-mount it and try again.
Dressing will not bring a wheel into balance.
using a masonry bit is quite good.
Even Suburban Tool shows that they use this method for balancing their grinding wheels.
I have done this, and not had a problem. The warnings are there for people who don't understand what they are doing.
Your decision, mine is that there is less danger doing the balancing than having a wheel fly apart from the internal stresses of an out of balance wheel.

I could probably Google search and find the answer... but how do you balance a grinding wheel?
Before buying gizmos... sometimes is just as easy as flipping them around... That is what I experienced. Saved me from buying the balancer gizmo that is available.

I'm proud for you guys who come up with simple fixes. I tried trading out the 8" grinder. The new one shook as bad as the first. Tried Norton stones, shook just as bad. Made new arbors. Made a special mount to put it on the mill and true the stones with a diamond. Nothing worked because none of the stones cheap or expensive were anywhere near balanced. When I referred to how surface grinder stones were balanced they had the same kind of hub as the Oneway. So after hours and hours of wasted effort I broke down and got the "gizmo" and with a little tweeking like using carb cleaner to get the grease out of the bearings on the balancer fixture that came with Oneway so there was no friction from the grease I got the wheels in balance and it has worked perfectly ever since. I ended up finding a HF version of the carbide type bench grinder and balanced the wheels on it with the Oneway balancer and that's mostly what I use for grinding my HSS lathe bits. But the 8" gets used for heavy grinding. The Hitachi bench grinder and Oneway together were 1/3 of the cost of a new Baldor. And even they have probs.

For the record, the replacement grinder from this mfg is ok. The wheels are the correct ID for the arbor. It spins up, runs and spins down with no notable vibration. The wheels were not tight, but I was going to take them off for ring test anyway. Both rang, and had sharp corners with no chips. One of the bearings squeaked on first run with no wheels. A little grease fixed the squeak, and while in there I dremel-ground flats in the shaft. Now a 16mm thin wrench can grab the shaft to help get the wheels tight. It's running outside right now to break in.

Back