New bench grinder: cheap or just inexpensive?

In my experience, most of the generic bench grinders come with wheels that are not very good and I usually replace them with quality wheels. The holes in the wheels should fit the shaft properly, although, I have had wheels come with plastic adapters that enable the wheel to be mounted on 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1" shafts.

These wheels have 3/4 inch holes, the actual shafts are 5/8" and the Amazon page says "1/2 inch arbor". It's good info that plastic bushings are acceptable. None came with the grinder but I can make some. Here is a video of a woodworker making nice walnut bushings.

These wheels have 3/4 inch holes, the actual shafts are 5/8" and the Amazon page says "1/2 inch arbor". It's good info that plastic bushings are acceptable. None came with the grinder but I can make some. Here is a video of a woodworker making nice walnut bushings.

I made a few adapters the other day for a wheel with a 5/8" hole to fit one of my 1/2" shaft grinders. It works fine and my Norton wheels have come with these adapters included in the box. They work for me with no issues whatsoever. Those chipped wheels I see in your photos would cause me some concern.

Thanks everybody for the education. I'm going to return this one and see if the next one is any better.

should have said hubs:
Those things are expensive! I think I'll work on offset washers as balancing weights. I don't really want to offset the whole wheel, because then I'd have to cut away a lot of that wheel when I dress it to true it up.

Rick "out of balance isn't necessarily the same thing as out of round" Denney

I've been struggling with a weak old bench grinder that bogs down when I push too hard on it. This week I bought a new 8 inch Chinese grinder from Amazon:

The delivered unit looks close enough to the listing photo, but both wheels have chipped corners. The center holes are bigger than the arbors, so I had to center the wheels by trial and error. The bearings feel smooth when rotated by hand, and the grinder runs smoothly at top speed. But at mid speed it shakes in a scary way. That happens when spinning up and spinning down, and when I push hard with the work.

Is this thing dangerous, or should I just use it until things even out?
Is it common for the grind wheel holes to be oversized?
centering by trial and error is an error.
you should make adapters to center them.

That grinder is not great. First, 3/4 hp usually has at least a 5/8 shaft. you having 1/2 says this is under 1/2 hp or a bizarre unit.
8" should have 5/8 min.. so again ...

Those chips may or may not be dangerous. Danger is first determined by ringing the wheel. if it rings, the wheel is not cracked. If it thuds, break the wheel on the ground and use the parts for hand grinding. Never use a wheel that THUDS.

I have balanced my wheels and it improved the grinders... One grinder had a slightly out of true shaft. using a press I worked it to true.
I don't like the stamped steel flanges, so if you have others check them out. I found better in my stash and they make the grinder run much better. If you don't find them, make them.

I could probably Google search and find the answer... but how do you balance a grinding wheel?

You can make something like this...

I could probably Google search and find the answer... but how do you balance a grinding wheel?
It's crazy! You statically balance the wheel and chip mass from the sides with a masonry bit. But hey, some guy on youtube did it and it worked for him. Well, for one I hate it when wheels explode in my face. that'll lead you to a bad day quicker than starting off with an empty roll of pandemic paper. No sir, I find that dressing the wheel will bring it into balance. If not, then re-mount it and try again.

Back