New Bedroom Shop Build

Just noticed that you are brand new to the forum. Welcome aboard. Lots of knowledgeable people on here who will help you out.

Thanks! I have lurked on here for a while as I get my head around taking up machining as a hobby to compliment my other... umm.. hobbies

bigger lathe + tailstock removed + military cot clamped to ways = guest bedroom!

Ha, sounds like I need a few cranes to get that lathe into the room

My bedroom shop is 15 x 12. No matter what the room size is, it is too small.
Robert

I agree but living in the city constrains my space. I will be happy to have a bit more space and a real two car garage (20x22).

Slowly coming, starting to align on a few things. I tried to use sketch up but failed so this is my current somewhat to scale drawing. Thinking 2 foot deep workbench around most of outer walls. I have drawn in a PM-1228vf and a PM-728vt for a lathe and mill. I moved the lathe to the far left wall to enable room on either side although I am not convinced this is the best layout. I also wonder if the lathe is too big for the space. I still want a bench top bandsaw and room for model assembly. I have not drawn in an assembly table but I think I could make it work.
The house is about a month behind on schedule so I have not spent too much time finalizing my thinking.

56156DE6-B8E3-4E73-B456-BD4DD93FADF3.jpeg

Looking at your thread ,keeping an eye on how your laying it out because my work area in my garage is very similar in size U shaped with the center open for the tractor . How are you dealing with the corners ? Right now mine is a old wooden bench a toolbox on top but piled with stock on the shelf and floor . Heres a picture before it got out of hand

Attachments

• B8DBBD2E-6E45-4404-869D-3B87C61A942D.jpeg
    B8DBBD2E-6E45-4404-869D-3B87C61A942D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
You can put a machinists toolbox over the lathe, especially the headstock. Shallow shelves behind and above the lathe work too. They do pick up some chips, of course. Not too badly, though. Keep them well past the lathe centerline.
Sorry, this is the best picture I could find. You can see that the tool holder shelves are well outside the swing but still really quick to access. This wouldn't work well on a BIG lathe, but then i dont want one of those ;-)
055e42fb81eadbe90a3fd1d5bde9e867.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks, great ideas. I think right now I am mostly challenged trying to get base layout figured and where I am going to build workbenches. In the drawing I did a 24" counter, that is going to be too narrow. I am thinking a 32" workbench for the lathe and mill, then I might make the bottom counter a bit narrower.

Currently thinking doing the "steevo" workbench like what is shown on Garage Journal which are 2" steel tubes with angle iron tying them together and a top mounted.

If needed I can ask this question in other parts of the forum but is my thinking on the PM mill and lathe right in terms of the model? I don't want something huge but I want it somewhat flexible for future work. The lathe is the Chinese version vs the Taiwanese mill but I don't think I can step up to the size of the larger mill.

I also need to do some type of tubing to create light suction at specific points to air out when airbrushing, soldering, glueing, etc.

Anyway, any other ideas you all have would be great.

The bench my lathe sits on is 30" deep. It is so deep that it collects stuff that never seems to get moved along the back edge. My bench top could easily be 24" deep with no problems in use. My lathe came with the 30" deep bench top and it was easier to keep it than to make it narrower.

I looked at the specs for your lathe. The foot print is 60" wide x 21" deep. You are going to want the back splash up against the wall. The space behind the back splash will be useless and will collect whatever happens to fall behind the back splash. From my limited experience you don't want the handles to be over the bench top. So a 24" deep counter will work just fine for your lathe.

I would not permanently mount the mill. I would have it on wheels. In fact I would have all of your machines on wheels stored against a wall. Some like the bench grinder, drill press and belt sander will typically not need to be pulled out to be used whereas the mill and band saw would need to be pulled out. The assembly table should be on wheels too with a top that folds down for storage like the top on small dinning tables.

I think that you will find having corner cabinets to be a problem. Think about the corner cabinets in a kitchen and how awkward they are to use.

Your lathe only weighs 490 lbs. Standard kitchen cabinets with two layers of 3/4 plywood for the top would be more than strong enough to support the lathe. Think of all of the storage space that you would have by using kitchen cabinets.

Did a 3d sketch for you to give a visual on the layout based on your latest floor plan. Lathe and cabinets along the 12' wall with the mill on the adjacent wall. The assembly table is under the window. Spray booth and all of your other machines along the wall opposite the lathe.

bedroom shop 001.jpg

bedroom shop 002.jpg

Back