New Bedroom Shop Build

fsts2k

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I am in the process of building a new home and am going to build a workshop / modeling space in one of the bedrooms. I enjoy building models of all kinds including model railroad equipment for HO and G Scale. Lately I have been diving quickly into the Live Steam hobby and have many Live Steam engines which require periodic attention / maintenance. In addition I am going to start to get further into machining and plan to purchase a lathe, mill, and bandsaw in addition to a number of other tools beyond all the things I have today.

A few things about the space:
- It is a concrete floor
- Working space is 11'8" x 12'
- There will be a walk in closet for storage. I debated not having this framed in but believe I need to keep a closet for the bedroom for potential resale
- I have asked the builder to add in many outlets around the walls, have three per wall at this point
- Lighting will be cans augmented with additional lights mounted to workbenches

What I would like to attempt to do:
- I really like the Bedroom Machine Shop build that Wildo did: (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/bedroom-machine-shop-build.41545/) including the bench top, I think I am going to attempt to build that
- I would like to have an assembly table on casters that I can set in the middle of the room so I can assemble from all sides
- Would like to put a small spray booth in for airbrushing
- Will be putting vacuum ports / suction for dust extraction around tools and paint booth
- Space for 3d printer
- As mentioned I like model railroading and the largest I plan to build here will be F gauge (1/22.5) so parts won't be huge

What I am working through
- I am struggling with Lathe and Mill purchase, I keep leaning toward PV-1030V as I want to limit bench space taken by lathe. Have not selected a mill. I have looked at Sherline and others; realize they all have their trade-offs
- Floor treatment, I will have vinyl flooring (looks like wood) in rest of basement
- How much of walls should have work benches around the sides
- Other things to consider

Purpose of this thread is to start to document what I am doing. Thoughts / suggestions are appreciated. I have attached a picture of the bedroom from the plans.

Attachments

• Bedroom 5.jpg
    Bedroom 5.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Do I understand this right? The room has workshop tools - and a bed?

No.. it will be a workshop room inside my house. No bed

For the floor I would leave the concrete and put on a good epoxy paint covering to be able to clean up grease and sweep up metal shavings.

Good idea about the closet for resale later. For now plan on shelving and a place for wood and metal stock.

I wouldn't put the lathe in front of the window. My lathe has a high window behind it. The glare from the window makes it hard to see at times. My lathe and mill are in a corner with the drill press between them. This makes good use of the corner.

Everything in my garage shop is on wheels except for the lathe. The mill has its own stand as do the band saws. Everything else is mounted on 3 drawer filing cabinets. These are handy because of the storage and they come with wheels. Stored against the wall when not in use and pulled out when needed. I got the file cabinets at a county auction for under $10 each. You can't make something that cheap.

IMG_3680.JPG

I drew your workshop to scale in Sketchup. Played around with where to place things and came to the conclusion that only the lathe and adjacent work bench/desk should be permanent. Everything else should be on wheels including the mill. I centered the lathe on its wall to allow room for things to stick out of the headstock on one side and into the entry on the other. You may never need this but it is nice to have the option. The work bench/desk seemed to be the best use of the corner space next to the lathe. Corners are always problematic and often have wasted space. For your assembly table I would look for a small desk. You can often find these at garage sales or I would consider putting a top on two of the 3 drawer file cabinets. These cabinets are 15" W x 24" D x 27" H. Or get a rolling cabinet/tool chest from HF and put a top on it.

bedroom workshop.jpg

Always fun to see how people organize their shops.

Wire all your outlets with at least quads. Run a 20 amp 220 dual breaker and 4 wire romex to the boxes and wire the right outlet to one leg and the left outlet to the other leg. This is a good trick sometimes used in kitchens. I am VERY happy I did it in my shop. You can later go back and swap to a 220 v outlet anywhere you want it!
Even better, use two double breakers and alternate circuits on your wall boxes.

Also, use shuttered outlets and put them above bench height.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks! This is awesome!

I am going to visit the space on Friday and get a bit more layout. I agree on the lathe under the window doesn't make sense

Just noticed that you are brand new to the forum. Welcome aboard. Lots of knowledgeable people on here who will help you out.

My bedroom shop is 15 x 12. No matter what the room size is, it is too small.
Robert

Back