New Atlas owner

It has been a long time since I last had the master jaws off of the Pratt since it has 2-piece jaws. I would suspect that the main reason for removing the jaws would be for turning them around to grip the inside instead of the outside of the work-piece. Which wouldn't be required with 2-piece jaws.

Your comments on what gets greased could be correct.

It has been a long time since I last had the master jaws off of the Pratt since it has 2-piece jaws. I would suspect that the main reason for removing the jaws would be for turning them around to grip the inside instead of the outside of the work-piece. Which wouldn't be required with 2-piece jaws.

Your comments on what gets greased could be correct.
The reason I felt strongly against grease on the scroll is because I am forever removing the jaws to clean the scroll. If there were any grease present holding the chips on the scroll surface I miss I would have to clean it again. My lathe is a 1440 with a through hole of 1 1/2" in dia. What I believe is happening is that when the spindle is turning it creates a vortex and draws the chips into and through the spindle. I do find chips on the floor that do come through the spindle. While being swept into the vacuum some chips find their way into the scroll and cause the problem. They enter the scroll just behind the jaws. So what I do now is before starting the work I stuff the inside of the spindle with paper toweling to plug and stop the vacuum, It has helped me considerately to control the problem. Thank you so very much for your reply. Charlie

Can you identify the source of the moving air? It doesn't seem logical that it would have been designed that way.

Can you identify the source of the moving air? It doesn't seem logical that it would have been designed that way.
There is a door next to the lathe, but it is closed. I did forget to mention that this happens While boring internally. I also know the machine is dead level. Could the source be the spinning jaws?

Well, Possibly. remove the three or four jaws and run the motor. Plug the left end of the spindle with half s sheet of paper towel and see whether that makes any difference.

Back