New 935 Is Running!

Some comments about the EL700 and touch probe. First, the shaft on the touch probe is .393", which means it doesn't fit in a standard 3/8" R8 collet. I think something like 25/64" is about the closest. Then, I remembered the ER-32 collet chuck I bought (no comments about forgetting tools please...), and vaguely remembered someone here commenting about the greater range of sizes these collets will grab. It's a snug fit, but it fits.

The touch probe default ships with the break-away tip, although a steel one is available. Installed the tip, and then started thinking about how to calibrate/center the .118" tip to spindle centerline. This is my first experience with a touch probe, so this is all new to me. Finally got the thing more-or-less centered (less than half a thou) and started trying to figure out how to use this thing. I was using a gauge block to determine the accuracy of the touch probe and DRO system while capturing the length of the gauge block in the x-axis. Problem was, it was off by just over 3 thou, plus or minus. What? I saw a little icon in the lower right of the display that showed a the touch probe tip next to a vertical surface (the manual for this thing is terrible...no reference to this anywhere) but it appears to be where you input the diameter of the touch probe tip. I think. So I started changing the value, and sure enough the results of my measurements started changing. But, I was having to put in smaller tip diameters to get the system to read out within a few tenths. Hmmm...

Then I tried to just capture a datum in X. Way off... Now I'm getting frustrated so I called it quits for the day (yesterday evening). Then as I'm finishing up my coffee, I go back and re-read this one-page commentary about the touch probe. Apparently, you have to position the rotation of the touch probe so that moves the 3 sensors at the same time, or in the proper order. Huh? That's all the paper says. Then on the back it shows it (touch probe) dis-assembled with some comments that the factory puts too much grease in there and you should take it apart and clean it for proper operation. Great. This thing is a real PITA to get aligned, and it looks like I have to do it all over again.

So today I'll attempt to start over and hopefully get some better results. If not, tomorrow will require a phone call to DroPros.

Anyone here have any experience with these things who could offer some suggestions to a noob? :)

IMG_0705.jpg

Bill, the probe dimensions are metric. The shaft is 10mm and the ball is 3mm.

Well that makes sense. Thanks Rick!

Wish that had been mentioned in the 'manual'... :rolleyes:

Hey Bill,

I have the mechanical dial type edge sensor which uses a 12mm shaft and a 4mm ball. I have both a metric R8 and ER collets to fit the probe that I use. I can get down to a resolution of 0.0004" when everything is aligned. A bit of a PTA, but very accurate once set. Read up on the EL700 and probe, impressive DRO on all accounts, like buying a Rolls Royce of DROs. Impressive features, haven't seen anything else like it for either the mill or the lathe.

It is a really cool DRO. Has more features than I can shake a stick at. It appears to be able to do pretty much everything except drive the mill itself. Also can be configured for a lathe with it's own special set of functions. If I can get this touch probe thingie figured out, it should be a pretty sweet setup.

I have my eye on a Hardinge 10mm R8 collet that I will likely buy, so that part is taken care of. Yesterday, I was using my 2" gauge block as a test to see how accurate this thing is. I seem to be able to repeat to a few tenths, but every now and then it's off by one or two. Started to get frustrated, but then realized I was chasing TENTHS and started laughing. For most of my work, a thou is plenty good, so I stopped chasing my tail and called it good. I've got some scrap that I want to try some of the functions on, especially the pocket and arc modes.

My rotary table may get very lonely sitting in it's drawer... ;)

Bill is it possible to install a Maxi Torque-Rite power drawbar on it? Also I just helped another forum member install a power feed on Y and the knee, he loves it.

Bill is it possible to install a Maxi Torque-Rite power drawbar on it? Also I just helped another forum member install a power feed on Y and the knee, he loves it.

I'm not sure, regarding the Maxi. With that lever up top to switch from low range to high on these belt-drive models, I would think it would be right in the way. Some platform would have to be made to elevate everything above that? I've not seen a quick-change in person so I'm not sure what would be involved. This thing looks like a standard-sized BP head but I'm no expert at this. I already ran into an issue trying to buy a quill speed handle. The shaft for the handle is bigger than the standard BP 1" diameter, and the pin spacing's are different as well.

You must have read my mind on the power feed. I just asked Matt today if he had a PF for the knee. He does, but is waiting for some mounting part which should be available in a week or two. I told him to let me know when that part comes in. :)

$280 on sale at Enco right now with todays 20% off coupon. It seems like these power feeds are always in the Hot Deals catalog for $350, retail is $462. I will tell you right now the Enco installation instructions are worthless, I use the Servo instructions but even they are horrible for the knee. Ping me when you get ready to do the install its super easy, a picture is worth a thousand words should take you 30 minutes at most. There are a couple gotcha's to look out for as well. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=8&PMKANO=402&PARTPG=INLMPA&PMCTLG=01

Check with Matt on the Maxi, he stocks them and more importantly stocks the appropriate length drawbar for these mills. I love the power drawbar its awesome, and I'm equally a happy camper with the power feed on the knee. They really go hand in hand, feed the knee down, power drawbar tool change, feed the knee back up. Its not quite CNC but a huge improvement over manual. The power feed on the knee will just crawl you can make very fine adjustments with it in the .001 to .003 range.

Back