Nelson goes back to school- is it worthwhile?

I went back to college at 38 to get a 40 unit/Certificate in Electrical Technology attending 6-10pm 2 nights per week while working 8-5 as an industrial maintenance mechanic. I was basically the factory electrician, and I wanted to learn more so I didn't kill myself. After 2 years of classes, I got used to it and decided to get my AS Degree going 3 nights a week for the next 1 1/2 years. I never regretted it, but my wife thought it was a waste of time until I was promoted to Project Coordinator position (4 years/80 mil project) that led me to GM of a major airport business for the past 20 years riding a chair.

I say go for it! You never know where ambition, knowledge, dedication and ... some luck can get you.

Oz and Fab,

Good advice, but about 5 years late. ;)

Tom

Its the knowledge that you gain from the instructor that is far more important than the lathe. You'll never know how or when that info will become useful. On which appears to be unrelated, I had to take 2 years of a foreign language which happened to be German. I struggled through those classes and just managed to pass them. Then after being in the army for over 2 and 1/2 years, I got my orders for Berlin, Germany. I was there for a year and a half. Boy, those language courses sure became useful. You never know.

Farmingdale had some machining classes a few years ago. They may still have them. I took one class there and it was a good program. Was a whole semester though and may cost more.

Nels , knowledge is power ! It is like this tool disease that we all have . You'll start out with the G codes , M functions and canned and un-canned cycles . Then you'll move into conversational programming possibly and on to CAD Cam and possibly solid modeling etc . Would I do it ? Of course ! Just beware , it's interesting AND addicting . Good luck with your studies !:eagerness:

Guys,

FWIW, Nels started this thread 5 years ago. In post #9, back in 2011, he said he was convinced to take the course. Hopefully, he did.

Tom

Back