Need VFD education

Thanks guys.
I have the lathe running from the VFD panel push buttons. Forward and reverse. I am going try the clutch lever switches today.

Mark
Changed the parameters you suggested. Works fine. The only thing I noticed is when checking spindle speed at 50hz versus 60hz the reading on my Biddle tachometer shows the 50hz speed is correct for what the gear callout on the lathe is. No big deal. I hooked up the 2 switches for the clutch lever. Forward works fine. The reverse does not work at all. The switch is good but I will have do some trouble shooting.The switches are hooked to X4 (forward) and X5 (reverse). Looks to me that I need an input to X6 (reversing switch). ??

Back from lunch. I had one of the reverse wires to the switch backwards. The 2 switches are mounted with one having the lever up and the other with the lever downwards so the terminals are opposite. I changed the wire to the correct terminal. Still does not work right, but will run in reverse. Now when I turn the power on the lathe will start in reverse with the lever in neutral. When running in reverse, if I move the lever to forward it will stop and change to forward like when the panel is used for direction control. When back in neutral the lathe runs in reverse. No stopping for neutral, either forward or reverse.

OK sounds like we are close- I'll take another look at it and in the mean time anyone else is welcome to jump in also
I haven't done a lot of work with VFDs but I understand most of the settings
-M

Thinking out load. The lathe as it stands does not have a neutral condition once it starts running in either direction. Seems that the inputs are latching the same as the panel input buttons do. Page 12 of the directions, P50 Multi function input parameter is set to (13) section speed limit. It has the option for (1) wire control stop. Wonder if a 3rd switch is needed and if this would at as a stop? It would be nice if more info was included in the directions. I knew it was an inexpensive VFD but I thought more info would be available.

Well, it is only 5V on those lines. Just run a couple wires that you can short together and see what happens.
Chinesium is cheap. It is also incomplete. :)

Also, I was wondering if the jog forward and jog reverse might work better-?
So,
P53 = 17
P54= 18
?
I don't know any more than you do at this point- experiment is the key

After many adjustments to the 2 switches I have finally got the lathe to work correctly with the clutch lever. I think I am going to purchase 2 new switches to replace the ones on the lathe. For a few dollars it may be worth it. The limit switch levers have been bent in the past so I straighten them and made multiple adjustments. I am wondering if the lathe is waiting to run in the last postion the lever was in? Safety concern?
I want to thank all who helped.
Now on to the milling machine. Since it just needs forward and reverse thru the switch I am hoping it will be easy.

Well done!
Make sure that the low voltage switch wires never come in contact with the high voltage wires/terminals- damage is sure to occur
Masking tape, cardboard over the terminal strip(s) is good insurance

Which model of Enco lathe? Is the forward/reverse a lever on the carriage?
Does your machine have a pair of microswitches or the older "barrel" style switch?

Last edited:
Back