NEED TO MAKE A SOCKET FOR A 1/2" SQUARE NUT

Last week, I tore down some old machinery down where all the fasteners had square head bolts and square nuts. I use either a 7/16" (.437") or 11mm (.433") 12 pt. socket in reverse for my 3/8" drive. For a 1/2" drive, a 15mm (.570") 12 point socket works.

We found a Pittsburg socket that has rounded corners like the were drilled first. I decided to try a 1/8 carbide end mill and cut the flats to fit.
I think it will work.
Thanks for the ideas guys.
I can always count on this group for quick answers-ideas-suggestions-entertainment

bet he wishes he wouldn’t have gotten rid of his shaper.......jus sayin’ :)
The only thing good about that shaper, it was fun to watch.
If anyone has any experience with a Rhodes shaper, they have the roughest castings. It was an OK machine though.
I use my Jacobs rubber flex collet chuck much more than that old shaper -wink.

We ended up using a 1/2" deep socket. I used a carbide deburring tool to cut the corners.
The pic shows what I'm dealing with. After a few minutes the nut was locking up good.
When you compare the automotive manufacturing processes of 1966 vs. today.
We have made some dramatic improvements.
A ferrous nut and bolt up inside a wheel well exposed to the elements, does not give much confidence in the long term.

Attachments

• IMG_5328.jpg
    IMG_5328.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 23
But the whole philosophy was different. Back then a car with 60,000mi was worn out, ready for the scrapyard. 100,000mi, impossible, a miracle! No undercoating, little soundproofing. They were meant to not last. It’s how Detroit ruled the world by conspicuous consumption.

But the whole philosophy was different. Back then a car with 60,000mi was worn out, ready for the scrapyard. 100,000mi, impossible, a miracle! No undercoating, little soundproofing. They were meant to not last. It’s how Detroit ruled the world by conspicuous consumption.
Very true sir.
Can you imagine a new car every 3 years. Who could afford it?
Something has changed with the price of automobiles.

Back