Need Some Tooling Storage

I use 2 roll away boxes with a wood top.

003.JPG

Kevin

003.JPG

I've been looking at this Horrible Freight 26" 16-drawer tool cabinet combo with I can get for $319

It's hard to advise someone on tool boxes there such a personal thing, I like your choice in the HF one, it has a good ratio of shallow to deep drawers, I personally like the metal roller cabinets, they hold so much and take up minimal room, I have two like the one your looking at with top chests that stay put and a third with no top chest that's used for measuring tools that I drag to where ever I'm working.
You said wheels are not important but one thing I like about roller cabinets even if they spend most of there life stationary is the fact that there easily repositioned without the need to empty them, every time I think I have my shop in the perfect layout I go and get something else and need to start shifting things.
There's a link posted by "awander" of what looks to be a decent cabinet as well, I have know idea about the quality of HF cabinets but don't go to cheap, with the weight that usually winds up in each drawer you want it to open smooth, I had one years a go that you could pull over on your self before the dam drawer would open if there was to much weight in the drawer.:))

Edit: I used the little add on chests instead of the mechanics top chest, it keeps things a little shorter and provides a flat area for drills and such, the last one Is one I made for bulkier millIng stuff.
AIR_20140526_00000.jpgAIR_20140526_00001.jpg
AIR_20140526_00002.jpgAIR_20140526_00003.jpg

AIR_20140526_00000.jpg AIR_20140526_00001.jpg AIR_20140526_00002.jpg AIR_20140526_00003.jpg

Last edited:
Our hobby/trade doesn’t come lightly! Just about everything in our shops is made out of metal and could add up to LARGE amounts tonnage. I learned the hard way. I started out with the Crapsman tool storage rollaway. And after a very short while, the draw slides started to fail and that ain’t fun! My advice, get a Vidmar or similar. Yes, I know they are pricey, even the used ones...Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
This set: http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html is well-regarded by many. I bought one when it was on sale for $159.99, and it is pretty decent quality.

That was the set I actually visited HF to check out. I was greatly disappointed. No offense meant but I found it very flimsy, thin metal, and felt like a kid's tool chest.

Dave, thanks for that Home Depot link. I like that Husky but wish it had a few smaller draws. I know I could add another top unit....I like the wood top too. Now I've got quite the dilemma. Which one to choose! LOL!

How about something like this from Home Depot? I know a couple guys with them and they seem pretty good for the $249.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...Solid-Wood-Top-7440946/204354788?N=5yc1vZc27b

Well Dave, and guys, this is what I went with. I originally thought I'd go for the HF 26" 16-drawer combo but then something happened. I got to HD and they had the unit on display and for $249. It looked pretty good and felt solid with the drawers sliding nicely. But what sealed the deal was one of the managers came over and offered to take $30 off since it was the display and had a few dings and dents. Nothing major that really bothered me, but hey.. I'll take it! So for $219 pretax I think I got a helluva deal. I put drawer liners in and she's looking good. Methinks I'll make up a few dividers for the smaller stuff like endmills, drill bits, etc.. and we should be good. At least I saved some $ to buy other goodies for the lathe. :)

Back