Need Some Tooling Storage

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
With all the items usually associated with lathes/mills such as indicators, drill bits, taps, etc... I need to get some storage for my home shop. It'll be sitting in one spot so I don't necessarily need a rolling cabinet. I've been looking at this Horrible Freight 26" 16-drawer tool cabinet combo with I can get for $319 pretax. Then I've seen a few used Kennedy tool boxes like the 526 locally in decent condition, but I'd still need a few bigger draws for bigger items though. I was thinking of getting a used Kennedy 526 and trying to find a bigger bottom cabinet to sit it on. There's not much good used tool cabinets locally to me since I guess most folks just hold onto what they've got if it's good. I can also get this HF rolling storage cart for $100 so I was thinking of getting two and putting a thick board across them to have space to work on. I know toolboxes are a personal thing but I'd like your opinions. So what would you recommend as far as a storage setup or brands, etc.? Thanks.

I wasn't real impressed with the HF tool chests but I didn't want to spend BIG bucks on one. Looking around I found that, for me anyway, the Kobalt brand available at Lowe's (half mile from my "shop") was the best buy for my needs at the time. This is the one I have:

6936945604000lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_351099-5573...&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=tool+cabinet&facetInfo=

Definitely not at the same price-point as the HF though.

-Ron

An old sturdy chest of drawers can give you tons of storage space. You can make your own stackable trays to make thinner storage areas within a couple of drawers. It may not look as nice as a fancy new red, blue, or black toolbox, but they can be had pretty low in cost most of the time.

An old sturdy chest of drawers can give you tons of storage space. You can make your own stackable trays to make thinner storage areas within a couple of drawers. It may not look as nice as a fancy new red, blue, or black toolbox, but they can be had pretty low in cost most of the time.

Gotta admit, I hadn't thought of that. The only thing is, can your typical bureau hold a good number of screwdrivers, sockets, etc.? Surely we're not talking Ikea stuff here (never had good luck with their stuff) but still I'm wondering how well it'd hold up. Have you done this Terry?

I am curious as to how you have arranged the insides of these drawers ? File cabinets can often be had for just a few dollars at auctions $ 5 to $15. Although maybe not in orange paint.

For now just using them as is, but in the near future I will do some verticle partitions that will lift out with magnetic strips to hold and organize wrenches, then kinda build from that idea. I bought 6 for $25 each then I bought 6 more for $25 for all 6

Yup!! But it is a good old fashioned oak chest of drawers. It was painted over the original finish long ago (black and white of all things!) and was ugly. I was originally tempted to tear it apart and use the wood to build a Gerstner style tool chest, but I soon realized that I would be losing about 80% of the possible storage space if I did that. I use it to store larger things like a 4" and 5" vise for the Clausing mill, clamping sets for the mill, rotary table, etc, etc. Most of my micrometers and measuring tools are stored in a Kennedy toolbox that I inherited from my grandfather. Screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, and other non-precision hand tools are stored in a Craftsman rollaway unit, 54" wide, with full width center drawer and top chest. Stands about six feet tall and weighs in at 1200 pounds. It stays in the garage. I do have a set of wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, etc. for downstairs in the shop, but it is a basic list of the things I use down there regularly. I picked up some stackable plastic containers that the tools all fit into, and place the containers in one of the drawers of the chest. Works great for me, especially when the bureau didn't cost me a dime, and the plastic containers are quite inexpensive.

Back