Need Some Tooling Storage

I have two of the black HF boxes you reference in your original post. One next to my lathe, and the other next to my mill to hold tooling close at hand. With chucks and vises, etc, I have them loaded at least to their weight capacity, and they still roll nice. For the money, I doubt if they can be beat.

HF toolbox.jpg

GG

HF toolbox.jpg

Here's another Husky that I bought from Home Depot here in Canada. They usually go on sale for $300.00 once a year. I have it heavily loaded and the drawers open like a breaze. Nice and rugged construction.

IMGP0756600x800_zps15730fda.jpg

Brian

Another, somewhat similar idea is this organizer from Sam's. I have two, one for my bigger lathe, and one for just general storage. Putting one together is rather tedious, but it can be done in a couple of hours.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-...lling-workbench/prod1480010.ip?cid=SPOT_4UP_3

Harry

There quit nice, the price seems very reasonable, will the drawers hold a lot of weight and still slide good?
I thought I had everything I needed, if I order one I'm telling my wife your to blame..!:))

:) Blame me all you want. I have two of these. Sure helped organize my small shop.

The drawers will hold some weight, though I have not loaded any of them down to extremes. When drawers get overloaded finding what is in them becomes a problem. I can take a few pictures if you like. (email me at maker at canerods dot com)

One right hand drawer has about 50 wrenches.
Another has 18-20 AXA toolholders with cutting bits.
Another has solder, torches, and supplies.
Another is filled with short pieces of nickel silver tubing from which I make parts for my fishing rods.
The drawers to the left are larger. One has dozens and dozens of tool manuals and catalogs. Believe it or not those paper goods are VERY heavy.
The largest drawer, bottom left, has a dozen or two power tools, like an electric stapler, Fein multi-tool, battery powered drills, hammer drill, pneumatic riveter, etc.

There are many, many screws holding these together. The drawer rollers are good quality, but not Kennedy or Gerstner. One nice thing is that the large wheels make these chests roll fairly easily, even when loaded down.

Harry

There quit nice, the price seems very reasonable, will the drawers hold a lot of weight and still slide good?
I thought I had everything I needed, if I order one I'm telling my wife your to blame..!:))

I would keep a lookout for local office furniture sales. I got one of these forms cabinets for free, put it in the shop filled it up an went back and got another. Blueprint cabinets make for great storage as well. This photo was taken shortly after getting the cabinet into my shop.

image.jpg

Believe me, Bishop, I've been looking all over...Craigslist, Ebay, local want ads.... everyone wants top $ for anything these days. I think I'll be making my own dividers. So far I'm really liking this workbench/cabinet/whatever you call it.

PS, I totally forgot...a friend has that exact unit from Sam's Club. He's not happy with it now I think a year or two later. I haven't talked to him in a while but I knew that unit when I clicked on it looked familiar!

FWIW, HF has another coupon for that 44" cabinet model that is highly regarded, this for $369.

BTW, you don't need to print this coupon out. Just give the # under the bar code to the cashier.

View attachment 77814

44cabinet.jpg

Back