Need some ideas on expanding the outer edge

That pic sure looks like the outer ring was soldered to the face as I described above. Polishing or chemical should work. You may need some of both.
oh no the bottom pic is the shell on bottom upside down with the real coin placed inside

heres a silver walking liberty shell expanded by one of thebest Johnson

Attachments

• 20201107_204640.jpg
    20201107_204640.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201107_204708.jpg
    20201107_204708.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201107_204614.jpg
    20201107_204614.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
There is no reason you can't do that with a die of the right diameter and only a slight chamfer for alignment. Use any means necessary for the press. If you machine the edge thin enough, you could even drive the die with a dead blow hammer and accomplish your goal.

uh that part doesnt sound right i use to make silver coins and bars we used dies
The roll bonding or explosion welding was to make the laminated sheet. The sheet was then sent to the mint for blanking. When the laminated coins first were issued they made some fuss over using an explosion to form the laminate. Apparently, roll bonding has replaced it for current coins.

silver solder is that a special kind of solder or is all solder silver solder ?

Silver solder is a silver bearing solder that melts at a higher temperature than soft solder but a lower temperature than braze. Jewelers use silver solder extensively as they create their jewelry. It is available with multiple melting temperatures which allows jewelers to add pieces to a fabrication without melting previous work.

There is no reason you can't do that with a die of the right diameter and only a slight chamfer for alignment. Use any means necessary for the press. If you machine the edge thin enough, you could even drive the die with a dead blow hammer and accomplish your goal.
just got some map gas to anneal coin

thank you everyone none of us is greater then all of us and by that i mean by all of us brain storming we can use our ideas and know how to help each other out And want to say thank you for your time and knowledge thanks. I will let you know if im successful .I have no choice but to be So I will just in time.

ALL THE PRESS IS doing is tearing ing it up and the idea about machinging it out then pressing one ito it would that be the same od once the oem coin is pressed yeah im losing ideas the only other thing but wouldnt know how to make on a lathe is a tapered die

good news and bad news Okay i have got the coin to expand around a new 2019 50cent from th mint well started either way i have a new coin fitting into a milled 50cent . bad news is. You know those beveled washers the outtter rim of the expanded coin has started to buckeland the discoloration i can fix by polishing its just how in the hell to you keep from buckeling probably starting to get off topic of this forum. but thats where iam

anyone have any ideas on how to go about the above mentioned cutting the rim and Soldering on . .?maybe take a coin punch and cut the outter rim of two coins take jewlers saw cut the rim in half then start soldering onto a brand new coin then mill out?

Back