Need some ideas on expanding the outer edge

tim6575

Registered
Registered
okay here what im working on first let me explain what i do Im a magician for over 30 years and now have started making coins for my self .

Im working on an expanded shell half dollar, that when finished wil have another normal unmilled just regular coin nest into the milled out other 50Cent coin the only thing is expanding the outer edge of the milled coin .

i have tried a refridgeration tool that expands pipe but the edge of the tooling slips off the very small edge of the milled out 50Cent coin.

any ideas? if you need pic let me know.

Attachments

• shell.PNG
    shell.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Glue?

"Those who tell don't know and those who know don't tell" I definitely don't know but lots of folks use crazy glue to hold small parts.

John

Pics and/or drawings will always help us visualize what you are trying to do.

That might be a long way to stretch it, and the unmilled face will strongly resist the expansion.
Could you add some silver solder to the outside of the shelled coin to increase its Diameter, and then knurl it to match the original and that can give you the room to cut your pocket to hold the unmodified coin.

Another option may be to cut the milled coins center completely out so that you are left with a ring, it will be easier to then fit the ring over your stretcher to increase its dia, then silver solder it to a full coin so that you now have a full coin that is bigger in dia, then machine out your pocket.

I envision an expanding die that works like an internal collet with a plunger or ball expander and is operated with an arbor press. That way the press force holds the die and work tightly together. That's my shot in the dark, anyway.

Another idea is to use a hydraulic bench press and round tooling with a slight angle on it's outside diameter. The downward hydraulic pressure would eliminate any raising of the round tool during expansion. Removing material from the face of the tool would allow precise adjustment to the coin pocket's final diameter.

i was trying to use a refridgeration tool that expands pipe but some kind jig will need to be made but no clue what the jig should look like lolso i started where anyone would a holder for the tool as for the
Gem cutter's pitch? Hard when cold but softens with heat
-mark
i have thought of the annealing process but hve to be carful not to burn the coin it has to look brand new

Another idea is to use a hydraulic bench press and round tooling with a slight angle on it's outside diameter. The downward hydraulic pressure would eliminate any raising of the round tool during expansion. Removing material from the face of the tool would allow precise adjustment to the coin pocket's final diameter.
i considering buying a harbor freight press but dont want to buy something if it wont be used but im considering

I bet you could apply all the pressure you need for this particular job with a bench vise. Unless you've already worked a press into your magic routine!

The heat from anealing or silver soldering will discolor the surface of the coin. But that discoloration is easily removed.

Back