Need Some Advice On This Slotting Operation

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I need to cut a slot in this bracket with a slotting cutter, need to know what feed and speed you would recommend. I don't use a slotting cutter very often.

Material : cast bronze
Cutter: 3"X3/32" - 32 tooth
Slot is about 3/8" deep
I have to make two passes to get the slot wide enough. Would you make the cut full depth or multiple passes.
Also need to know the rpm and feed rate.

ThanksDSC00740.JPG DSC00741.JPG

Your cutter is not a side cutter. And trying to make a nice slot wider than its thickness IMHO is going to be a challenge. The cutter is going to flex and push away on the second pass. I think the slot will not have parallel sides when you are done. Better to have the correct width cutter and go for it…Good Luck, Dave.

I would use a blade with a higher number of teeth if possible and multiple passes. Maybe 300 rpm?

I would run it slow and take it easy and don't clime cut. If that is all you have to cut the slot with then I would only go .050" at a time working back and forth an take a couple spring passes on the second cut of each depth. I would also cut the with under size and file to size if i needs to be a close fit.

Last edited:
All good advice. I will have to try and get by with the cutter I have. They are too darned expensive to get another one.
Guess will just have to try it and take it easy with multiple passes.
Thanks fellows

Any reason you can't put that 1-2-3 block in a vise and use an end mill?

All good advice. I will have to try and get by with the cutter I have. They are too darned expensive to get another one.
Guess will just have to try it and take it easy with multiple passes.
Thanks fellows
Don't you have an end mill you could use for that?

You can go as slow and easy as you want. But if that cutter starts to flex and push off on a side of the slot, no matter how hard to try, it is not going to make a slot with parallel sides…Good Luck, Dave.

Out of curiosity, what width slot do you need to make?

Any reason you can't put that 1-2-3 block in a vise and use an end mill?

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, as a matter of fact that is what I had decided to do after I posted the question and read some of the responses.

Back