1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Need Some 6F Power Feed Motor Help

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by Rick_B, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Rick_B

Rick_B United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Memphis
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Good afternoon - I'm in the process of rebuilding a 6F-B Bridgeport power feed and have a question on the motor. Specifically, there is a cover on the inboard side that goes over the bearing retainer. following are somepictures of the parts

Bearing retainer
    [​IMG]

Cover
    [​IMG]

Assembled
    [​IMG]

You can see that both the retainer and cover have O rings in them and the O rings meet up when assembled. The cover also has three set screw holes and the dog point set screws fix the cover to the shaft so it rotates with the shaft.

I have been told this is not standard and is likely a user modification - however when I google Boehm 4640 motor I find several examples of this arrangement and MSC offers a new motor with this same cover. It is advertised as motor with slinger. I also looked at the Hardinge Bridgeport manual and it offers motor with or without slinger.

My working theory is that the cover is actually the slinger and it aids in throwing oil/gunk off that migrates down the motor shaft. I'm looking for some confirmation of that? Secondly - I'm wondering if the O rings would be standard - seems that with them bumping into each other with one fixed and one rotating that they would wear out pretty quickly. Finally - I'm wondering how the slinger is adjusted?

Right now my inclination is to remove the O-rings and use the set screws to center the slinger on the retainer and keep it off the retainer's face so there is no rubbing.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rick

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. expressline99

expressline99 H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Hey Rick,

I think you are right about the two opposing O rings. Before I even got down to your description I was thinking that. They probably will burn up quickly and possibly cause it to bind. Mine of course didn't have any O rings.

So are you saying they are referring to the moving outer cover as the slinger? I would imagine you could use a thin feeler gauge to set the spacing between it and the bearing retainer. On mine I can't recall how it was set. I think for testing I just put it on and let go. (but testing didn't get very far.)

Paul

3. Rick_B

City:
    Memphis
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Paul - that's my theory (the slinger is the moving outer part). When I see the various motors being offered (new and used) that part seems to be the variable. I've psoted this question on a number of different forums and haven't got any responses other than yours so far. I'm kind of surprised about the apparent lack of information on this topic.

I wonder if one O ring is the right compromise?

Rick

4. Rick_B

City:
    Memphis
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Well I got the motor back together. I decided to leave both O rings out. When I put the slinger on there was no interference so I just tightened up the set screws.

I put the motor on the gear box but I'm not getting any mesh between the motor shaft worm and the gear box worm gear.

Paul - did you have to do some adjustment to that and, if so, what was it. It seems the only adjustment is to slide the worm gear in but I can't get it to move?

Thanks
    Rick

5. expressline99

expressline99 H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Rick, I wish I could tell you what I did... But I never got that far. It was still blowing fuses. The board was OK ...but now I've shipped the motor off to the same place to see if it's shot. When I was testing I was doing so without the motor mounted to the gear box.

Paul