Need mill adVise

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
I need advice about what milling vise to buy. Now, I know, everyone is going to say just one word: Kurt. My own advice is always to go with quality tools and whenever possible the every best quality. In addition, I realize just how important a high precision vise is for producing high quality work as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, at this point I simply cannot afford it. I can't even afford a decent Kurt clone like the Bison supposedly may be. I am well aware of the compromises involved with a "cheap" clone, but I also know a few tricks that can help mitigate some of the issues involved with such a compromise. Believe me, as soon as I can afford it, I will shell out the extra bucks to replace the less expensive vise with a high quality vise such a a Kurt. In the mean time, I need a good deal on at least a 5" milling vise. I don't want total junk, of course, but something reasonable for less than $250. This Old Tony reviewed a 4" Vertex vise for under $150 that really wasn't too bad, all things considered. Does anyone out there have a recommendation for a decent 5" vise that will still allow me to pay my mortgage next month?

Buy one from Amazon. If it arrives and is crap just return it. I am guessing that in cheaper vises QC is going to be pretty poor so you might get a bad one or you might luck out and get a good one. If you are able to clean it up a bit then you will be raising your chances of endind up with one you can live with.

I guess it all depends on what kind of work you're going to do and how picky you are.
I bought a cheap import vice as pictured, ~6" for 200 bucks and whilst it's definitely not a quality vice, it's served me well for years now.
There's many things I want to upgrade when it comes to milling but the vice isn't one of them.
With the kind of hobby-shop accuracy I deal with I don't see a reason to overspend on a really expensive vice, even tho I do love expensive(high quality) tools.
pic.PNG

You can occasionally find used 6 inch Kurt vises in your price range... I paid $250 for mine in almost new condition... they are usually more but every once in a while there are deals available.

Also, I have seen several 6 inch Bridgeport vises advertised in the $150 to $250 price range. I have one of them, and really like it.

Some of the older vises that came on the Taiwan mills are decent... I have the vise that came with my Enco knee mill. It lives on my Cincinnatti horizontal mill and is a very useable vise.

Sorry, I have no experience with any of the newer import vises.

-Bear

I need advice about what milling vise to buy. Now, I know, everyone is going to say just one word: Kurt. My own advice is always to go with quality tools and whenever possible the every best quality. In addition, I realize just how important a high precision vise is for producing high quality work as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, at this point I simply cannot afford it. I can't even afford a decent Kurt clone like the Bison supposedly may be. I am well aware of the compromises involved with a "cheap" clone, but I also know a few tricks that can help mitigate some of the issues involved with such a compromise. Believe me, as soon as I can afford it, I will shell out the extra bucks to replace the less expensive vise with a high quality vise such a a Kurt. In the mean time, I need a good deal on at least a 5" milling vise. I don't want total junk, of course, but something reasonable for less than $250. This Old Tony reviewed a 4" Vertex vise for under $150 that really wasn't too bad, all things considered. Does anyone out there have a recommendation for a decent 5" vise that will still allow me to pay my mortgage next month?
Have you checked out any auction sites? There are many of them out there and surely some that are close to you.
This link will bring you to a small auction house that is local to me. They have a miscellaneous machine shop stuff auction there every couple of months. I usually see a couple/few vises there.
I would much rather buy a used vise than a new China job.

Did you look on the HGR website?

Normally I am not adverse at all to buying used equipment, but in the case of machine tools, I am very reticent to buy used. It is far too easy for some clod to totally wreck a precision device. I also have to question why someone would be selling a high end tool. These are things one usually keeps for a lifetime, unless it has been very badly used.

I also have to question why someone would be selling a high end tool.

A few reasons off the top of my head...
Companies go out of business. People die and their stuff gets sold. Guys sell off what they have to trade up for bigger/better. Someone might narrow the focus of their work - all milling for example. So why have a couple of expensive lathes and tooling or a surface grinder sitting unused.
Some guy's mill vise may be depreciated out tax wise so he sells it and buys a newer, better one.
Example:
I was a sole proprietor for my last 30 years. My tax lady told me I could only take depreciation on a pickup for 5 years. So my choices were to drive an older pickup and pay more taxes or buy a new one, take the depreciation and pay less taxes. It wasn't an even trade of course but when all was said and done I could drive a new pickup for a couple hundred $ a month.

Last edited:
There's currently a Kurt 6" vise listed on eBay for $260.00 plus $100.00 shipping. It might be worth taking a look at.

There are also a number of other brand used vises in various conditions available in the price range you're looking for. I'm currently trying to find a 4" vise on a swivel base for use on my horizontal milling machine. I've found dozens listed for anywhere from $75.00 to well over $400.00. It's just a matter of researching which will be most cost effective for this machine.

High end tools, tooling, machines, and accessories often become available when shops upgrade, get rid of unused or under used machines and their accessories, or go out of business. They become available when individuals change hobbies, retire from a hobby, or eventually die. I'm sure when I pass on my machines and tools will go on the market. Machines and tooling that cost several hundred thousand dollars new probably go for pennies on the dollar or less. My wife has no interest in them, and all the people I know in the business have all the machines they need.

Back