need ideas on how to make a tool holder for inverted parting blade.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an OXA qc tool post and would really like to make a holder for it that can hold a parting blade upside down and centered, I tried to use the parting holder that came with the set by just flipping the blade (what can I say, I'm a rookie) but it soon became evident that centering the blade was impossible with that holder.

I need to machine a new holder that
A= fits in another( i.e. facing/turning )holder but holds the parting blade inverted.
B= a totally new holder that fits the tool post .
C= any other designs that basically does the same thing like parting from the opposite side of the spindle,etc.
No matter what holder I make it still has to be adjustable so I could center the blade.

All this idea came about after Mikey in this thread suggested to make a holder specifically for an inverted parting blade, I'd like to know if anyone has ever machined a holder for this purpose or if you have any ideas ,designs,comments.

I have made many AXA size tools holders. I made a cutoff blade holder for a wider blade. I can show with pics if needed. I ground a special cutter to get the blade to fit correctly. There are two surfaces that need the special angle.
It is/was very heavy as I make it on the large size. I have since used a carbide to mill our a large amount of weight. I did case harden it after the build hence the carbide cutter to get thru the hard surface. It works like a dream. I'm not sure if the extra mass helps with less chatter , but it sure is easy to use and I'm thinking it helps with insert life too. This lathe is a threaded nose and will run CCW but it also unscrew in use. I have another lather with a D 1-5 mount and intend to do just what you are doing for cutting off. The making of the partiing off holder was a labor of love and a great learning experience. It convinced me I needed a tapping head. If anyone wants to see my design I can do photos and post them. The Larger newer lathe came with a CXA system and there is a good chance I will be building tooling for it too. 3MT holder, upside down parting blade , ect.

I have one.
What do you want to know?

I have one.
What do you want to know?
I need to see how the blade is held in the holder, the measurements of the space above and below the grove where the blade sits, also where you installed the height adjustment screws.a picture of the holder will be much appreciated.

There is no height adjustment screw.
Stand by for pics and measurements.

.2125" at the top or the bottom of the blade I guess it would be.
The angle of the blade clamp is 55° the wide part of the clamp is .5".
I can get you more later.

Yes. There is a block that fits in your tool holder. Tool height us adjusted by you holder.

Yes. There is a block that fits in your tool holder. Tool height us adjusted by you holder.
I really like the design, it is simpler to machine that than the whole OXA tool holder .
Thank you very much ddickey.the pics helped a lot.

Back