Need Help Understanding This Thing

I took all the caps out and checked them, the run caps were still good, but the other one wasn't up to spec. For about $30 I am replacing them all. The run caps were made by GE a loooong time ago. Decided that replacing them was better than having a hazmat site if they blew up and spewed whatever was in them. Looked into the VFD, only $100 cheaper than replacing the motor with a single phase 220v. that may be an option down the road.

Would be curious to know what your new toy is? Good idea to replace all the capacitors, the paper and oil caps can last a long time (but they do go), the electrolytics just dry up and die. Good idea to replace all of them for a nominal price, and use higher AC voltage rated caps. You may consider replacing some of the older wires and terminate all the wires with ring terminals while you are in there. Looks like an hybrid of old and new. I would suggest running an additional ground wire between the contactor box and phase converter box, although the metallic conduit is used, the connections can get crusty and poor with time. Current code no longer permits conduit to be used as a ground. When dealing with electricity at these voltages, I get a little paranoid. I have amplifiers running 1000+volts, not a lot of second chances if something goes wrong.

The VFDs can be had for not much more if needed, but will be interested in hearing how everything works out. Always a learning exercise.

Hi there. I have been lurking for a bit but this is my first post. I too am wondering what the new machine you have is. The reason being is that a VFD might be a better choice than changing to a single phase motor. This would depend on what the machine is and if having variable speed would be beneficial. Just a thought.

Nice forum all! Glad to have found it.

My new toy is a barrel rifling machine. It pulls a rifling button thru a bored barrel along a spiral track. This presses, rather than cuts the grooves in the barrel. At least that is what they told me. Can't wait to see how it works. Picking up the new parts this after noon.

Will post photos of the thing when it is all put together.

you have a static phase converter. they work fairly well, although they wont start a heavy load and only produce about 3/4 of the rated motor hp. if this setup ran for 30yrs i would start it up and see if it runs. if the converter or motor has problems i would look for a replacement 1ph motor. just make sure its reversable. a vfd is another option and you can probably source one on ebay for about $130. this will give variable speed. for and rev , controled braking and other options you might find usefull. i would not sink any money into that static phase converter ,they are at best a half assed solution to running a 3 ph motor. they internet is full of all kinds of info on these converters if you decide to go with it.

Replaced the 4 capacitors, plugged it in and BWWAaaaahahaha, It's Alive!. No strange sounds or smells, that's a bonus. May still get a vfd or single phase motor in the future, but this runs.

may be a while before I produce any thing, but got the first step done

Sweet!

A single phase motor is more likely to cog, which may affect the smoothness of the boring (pulling) process. Many individuals have noted significant improvement in their lathe finish when switching from single phase to 3 phase (and addition of a VFD). The additional benefit for the VFD would be the ability to change speed, and also maintain a fixed speed through the pull. Can't say if it would be better, but it certainly would not be detrimental.

Sweet!

A single phase motor is more likely to cog, which may affect the smoothness of the boring (pulling) process. Many individuals have noted significant improvement in their lathe finish when switching from single phase to 3 phase (and addition of a VFD). The additional benefit for the VFD would be the ability to change speed, and also maintain a fixed speed through the pull. Can't say if it would be better, but it certainly would not be detrimental.
A three-phase motor on a static converter won't run nearly as smoothly as it would on three-phase power.

Back