Need help sourcing a pulley shaft!

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I felt like I did a good job fixing this shaft up but in the end it is warped from welding. This is what the motor side variable speed pulley goes on on my Hartford. I have tried bending it back with my press but it hasnt budged. I'm not sure what to do. Does this look like something might have lying around for some reason? Outside of sheer luck, if I have to make it what material should it be made out of? I post pictures in a follow up post

Here’s the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 30
You might could anneal it then straighten. Afterwards heat treat to re-harden/temper. Need a furnace tho
How warped is it?
Maybe the more practical approach would be to find another head- perhaps a step pulley style and adapt it to fit- make a "Franken-Bridgie"
Probably would get you where you want to go faster and with less headaches

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s actually hard. I can file it with standard files easily

It’s a shame. I’ve fixed a lot of this variable speed head. Just down to this being bent. I’m not sure how much. Enough to see it wobble. I’m kind of wondering if i bore it out enough to be able to fit it how much wobble I would get.

Maybe it would get me fancy spindle speed variation like a cnc has!

I guess the other idea would be to just replace the cone pulleys with a conventional fixed pulley and use the VFD for speed control.
Perhaps just weld the assembly back together, true it up on the lathe and fly. If that could be done? Think Road Warrior repair shop
:)
Just throwing ideas out there...

Last edited:
It's a shame you can't just buy Bridgeport parts and stick it back together but no, being a clone nothing interchanges

Last edited:
Maybe this might work?

Keith Fenner (Youtube) has some great videos about heat straightening shafts.

I’m thinking as a beat it with a hammer approach. Turning a shaft the size of the motor shaft and clamping in a Vice. Set the shaft on it and heat them hit with a soft face hammer the way it needs to bend. Or maybe two shafts to hold it “between centers then hit the middle when hot while using one shaft as a go no go gauge. What about that approach? I feel like close enough will work as long as it slides on?

I would start by making a " picture " that is identifying how and where it is bent with numbers and a drawing. If the barrel is true and the base ( flange) is not perpendicular then cut the faces of the base ( flange) after determining how you will maintain the correct bearing pressure. I would probably clamp it to a flat surface and stress relieve it.
I wouldn't use a nice table or v block but I would use my BP table as it's kinda rough but flat. Probably use the center tee slot, so I could use the others to clamp.
Apply just enough heat UNIFORMLY to it just has a dull glow and let it cool SLOWLY.
The exact technique you want to use will be determined after you have (mapped) the part out.
Sometimes I use a hydraulic press and an indicator.
I prefer the go in small steps and recheck in between.
If not I would go to ALRO a buy a peice of DOMESTIC made 1045 and whip one up.
Make sure to ask for domestic material as much of the import stuff is inconsistent in quality through the product.

Back