Need Help Installing Aliexpress Dro--

Once you get going, drilling into your mill isn't nerve racking at all. Pick up a cheap set of transfer punches at harbor freight. I used a small square wooden block, everything worked out fine on my mill and lathe install. You'll likely need to custom make your own brackets.

Last edited:
MI,
Thanks, several guys in this thread have talked about using a block of wood to get close to square when drilling with a hand drill-- exactly how do you use the block of wood? do you drill a hole in it on a drill press then use that as a guide?? Do you just hold it beside the drill bit to align it?
Thanks for all the help---from everyone here!
I'm getting there-- made my own brackets and installed the x axis-- I think the other two will go quicker.
Bob V

Yes just drill a hole in a block of wood on the drill press and use it to square the bit to the surface. Center punch the location and make a shallow dimple with the drill, not using the block, then put the block over the hole and locate the drill in the dimple. You can make another block for guiding the tap as well.

Thanks Eddy,
If I had posted this question on Practical Machinist-- they would have flamed me out.
This forum (you in this case) is just plain helpful!
Much appreciated.
Bob

Thanks Eddy,
If I had posted this question on Practical Machinist-- they would have flamed me out.
This forum (you in this case) is just plain helpful!
Much appreciated.
Bob
Hey Bob,
You are welcome, I'm glad to help. Yeah I don't know what is with the PM site, seems like lots of unnecessary hostility there. I guess the tone of a site is a reflection of its administrators....

Hi guys,
I finally got all 3 Ali Express DRO's installed yesterday-- and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have helped me do this project. I'm a "newbie" so the project gave me practice at milling (brackets), measuring ( Making sure scales were parallel), etc. etc. It took me 2 weeks!! Probably would have taken you guys 2 days-- but at least it's done and it works. I took pics but don't see the need to upload them unless someone requests more "Ali Install pics" -- there are already a lot out there.

A few notes for other new guys who might be contemplating this:

Ordering the correct scale length: on their website they say:
"After you place order, pls leave a massage with the travelling length or total length of X, Y, Z scales that you need, thanks". I took them at their word and just sent them the actual mill travel distance in mm, and they added a little "cushion" of about 1.5 cm of additional sensor travel on each end. This worked out just fine.

I received a scale that was erratic--read sometimes and flashed without reading other times: Wilson Huang at Aliexpress was actually very responsive and helped me take apart the erratic "x" axis. He responded to my questions by email or using the Message Center on Ali Express website within 24 hours and extended the warranty 60 days. The problem with my "x "scale actually turned out to be not the scale, but a tiny bit of plastic on the plug that plugs into the monitor that was not cut off after the plug was removed from the mold or however it was made (this prevented the plug from seating correctly in the female plug on the display)-- now it works reliably. As others have noted-- the plugs are pretty cheaply made--we'll see how they hold up.

The red plastic packing between the reader and scale: held in place by 4 tiny phillips head screws-- the guys on this forum were a great help-- but here's some add'l info: remove only the two screws that attach the reader head to the scale until the scale is completely installed, then install the scale/reader and use the red spacer as a guide--it is just the thickness of the space you need between the reader and the scale- then remove the second set of tiny screws that attach the red plastic to the reader and remove the red plastic thing. I found out during the install that one end of this red spacer prevents the reader from traveling an extra cm to the end of the scale-- so you have a bit more travel than you think if you just consider the reader travel with the red spacer in place--.

Protecting the glass scale inside each unit: I had to mount my "z" axis in such a way that oil/chips/etc. will fall directly on the reader head and can easily get inside the scale and onto the glass scales that are etched with the .005mm marks that the scales read. The supplied cover does not protect against this in my case. The only way I could figure to protect this is with a rubber mat over the area were the stuff falls down onto the reader/scale. I hope this doesn't become a problem!

More on glass scales: had I known there was so much fuss about keeping the glass scales on these things clean-- I might have opted for magnets scales-- I suspect they're not so sensitive to dirt/dust that WILL find it's way onto the glass eventually. BTW-- does anyone know if the glass scales can be cleaned??

Once again THANKS for all the help on this forum-- don't honestly know if I would have bought a DRO direct from China if I had not had the help available on this forum.

Best regards,
Bob

--Additional note-- my x-axis scale started acting up again about June 15, so I had to take a video of it and with some prodding, Wilson Huang at Ali Express sent me a replacement that I installed yesterday--- the replacement seems to work fine-- we'll see!
Thanks again for all the help--
Bob

A good way to level a hand drill is to slide an oversize flat washer onto the drill bit, like a 3/8" washer over a 1/4" drill bit. Keep the spinning washer in the center of the drill bit length and you are level, accurately enough for a hand drill...

As long as you are not blowing chips around using air, you should get many years before there's a need to clean the glass scale. Install some kind of protection to the scales from falling chips, yeah, z-scale will be a tough one to guard. This one guard it the best you can. Occasionally wipe down the outside of the scales. As for cleaning the scales, only do so if you start getting error readings on your readout. And consult the guys you bought the readout from on cleaning them. They will recommend a cleaner to use.

Bob, I'm glad you have it working.
Hopefully you won't have any more problems.

Back