Need Help Identifying These

Can you give me an example on how to use it?

Could the first picture be lath dog drivers?

This page from a Grizzly manual shows the spider with the guard in place.
View media item 95509(let me know if this picture does not show up)

The sleeve in picture 2 fits in the spindle taper to reduce it from MT5 to MT3. With it in place an MT3 holder or tool can be inserted in the spindle.

The backplate with four screws is typically used to hold and turn gun barrels. It is narrower than a chuck and allows to hold the barrel through the headstock. With another spider (w/4 screws on the outboard end of the spindle) you can dial a barrel in for concentric thread and chamber cutting. The grip from the two spiders (8 screws)
is sufficient to hold the barrel from slipping.

Guys,
I'm reviving this thread because I need some clarification. My backplate with a spider is used instead of a lathe dog when turning between centers? I was told this by a guy at work and not sure if this is correct.

This is not likely. It would be hellish to have the work held by a centre then have to tighten the screws to hold the work without putting stress on the center. I don't see the point of doing that way instead of the conventional way.

Most gunsmithing forums will have lots of threads about holding a barrel through the spindle with a modified backplate.

Last edited:
The sleeve in picture 2 fits in the spindle taper to reduce it from MT5 to MT3. With it in place an MT3 holder or tool can be inserted in the spindle.
With a lathe dog, correct?
Thanks for the link.

No, the MT3 tapered tooling would just need the adapter. The outside taper would fit the spindle taper. No lathe dog is necessary for driving.

"Billy G"

No, the MT3 tapered tooling would just need the adapter. The outside taper would fit the spindle taper. No lathe dog is necessary for driving.

"Billy G"
Okay this is what I thought but had some slipping. I'm not sure if it was the taper reducer or the center in the reducer. Is there a proper way to set the reducer and center? I lightly tapped the reducer with a dead blow I didn't do this on the center. I thought I read somewhere you should put a twist on the reducer?

A tap could make it seat incorrectly and slip in use. A twist will do just the opposite and help it seat correctly. Make sure the tapers are clean.

"Billy G"

With a lathe dog, correct?
Thanks for the link.

If you put an MT3 centre in the spindle sleeve correctly then the centre will not slip. You do need to use a dog to drive the work however.
If you use a tool in the spindle sleeve like an end mill holder or a collet then you need to use a drawbar.
If you use a drill or drill chuck in the spindle sleeve then the tapers properly used will likely hold by themselves without help from a dog or drawbar.

Back