Need Help Identifying These

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally getting around to going through the things that came with my lathe. I don't know what these are.
The last pick is my spindle. Is there anything I need to do to service this? Thanks.
IMG_20160904_223251786.jpg IMG_20160904_223353105.jpg IMG_20160904_223423817.jpg IMG_20160904_223500510.jpg IMG_20160904_223648287.jpg

First pic looks like it might be extra camlock studs or stops of some sort. Are they notched on one side?
Second appears to be an adapter sleeve for using a dead center in the headstock taper, maybe an MT5 to MT3?
Third I have no clue.
Fourth maybe a spider on top and a backplate, without camlock studs, on the bottom?

First pic looks like it might be extra camlock studs or stops of some sort. Are they notched on one side?
Second appears to be an adapter sleeve for using a dead center in the headstock taper, maybe an MT5 to MT3?
Third I have no clue.
Fourth maybe a spider on top and a backplate, without camlock studs, on the bottom?
They're notched on both sides and they look center drilled.
I was thinking the same about the sleeve but how would you secure it in the headstock?
Yeah that last pick is just my spindle with the chuck taken off.

.....I was thinking the same about the sleeve but how would you secure it in the headstock?.........
The sleeve is a self holding taper on it. Clean the surface up on it as well as the taper in the spindle and carefully slide into headstock spindle, twist slightly to seat it against the taper and it there! Tap it in place with a soft face mallet or brass drift. Don't beat the crap out of it! To remove, use a long drift thru the back end of the spindle, catch the back of the sleeve and drive it out.

The piece with the graduated knob was probably to a carriage stop that mounted on the bed. The bed clamp was probably improvised into something else.

The black looking studs are not cam pins. More than likely something to do with holding a guard in place. They almost look like a handle that came off of the knobs for the cross feed handle or compound feed handle.

Ken

Maybe to hold the Follower Rest?

Are the black pins different lengths? The may be stops to go with the graduated carriage stop.

Cheers Phil

No, they are the same length.

Guys,
I'm reviving this thread because I need some clarification. My backplate with a spider is used instead of a lathe dog when turning between centers? I was told this by a guy at work and not sure if this is correct.

IMG_20160904_223500510.jpg

The Spider is to center work via the 4 screws, not to drive the workpiece.

"Billy G"

Back