Need Help Identifying These

I do have a back plate that came with my lathe, never been used.
Could the first picture be lath dog drivers?
Yes I think you're correct. They screw into the back plate. So all I need now is the dog?

I do have a back plate that came with my lathe, never been used.
Yes I think you're correct. They screw into the back plate. So all I need now is the dog?

Yes, a straight tail dog big enough for the work you expect to turn.

My lathe has 1.5" spindle bore. So I guess that would probably the biggest piece I'd turn.
I've seen pretty large price differences in lathe dogs for 1.5". Anywhere from $16-$45.

Actually a dog is mostly used for turning between centers so the spindle bore diameter is not a factor.

Cast dogs seem to be more expensive than they should be. Its easy to make your own though.

Spindle and tailstock tapers should be clean and dry (without lube) to hold properly. A taper cleaning tool makes it quick and easy to clean out the internal tapers before every use. They can be bought or you can make your own. Actually, making your own can be fun and provide an exercise for setting and turning tapers with the compound.
These are some I made out of maple. The big one has an MT5 taper at one end and an R8 taper at the other end. The strips of felt are cut from floor saver felt strips available at most homeware stores. No looking around for a clean cloth anymore.

IMG_0023.JPG

Actually a dog is mostly used for turning between centers so the spindle bore diameter is not a factor.

Cast dogs seem to be more expensive than they should be. Its easy to make your own though.
What was I thinking, LOL.
Yes, good idea., thanks.

Back