Need Help Identify this Lathe

Thanks for the info.

Still learning a lot about what to look for when buying one.

Definitely have decided just to go with one that is a bit larger than that atlas.
Looking to to do mostly hobby with a decent usage for my side business projects.

I do like the look of an older lathe.

I have owned a number of small lathes over the years. A couple of Craftsman, a South Bend, a Logan and probably a few others I have forgotten. The small Craftsman is a toy. The larger Craftsman (12x36) is a good learning lathe and will do some good work but I swear I could see the bed move if I took a big of cut. The South Bend and Logan are a step up in quality in my opinion. Garage sales are good places to find lathes as someone mentioned and having someone with you that knowns lathes is a great idea. If you don't get in a big hurry the right lathe will follow you home one day. Good luck

I have owned a number of small lathes over the years. A couple of Craftsman, a South Bend, a Logan and probably a few others I have forgotten. The small Craftsman is a toy.

Toy? I've always considered mine to be a joke.

Seriously, some good work can be done on them. Using mine, my father bored out an ignitor from a John Deere hit and miss engine. But he was a career machinest, and a damn good one. They are a lot like a .410 gauge shotgun. Can do serious work, but their size lures the neophyte into something that requires a Master.

Bill

109 is a dunlap...dunlops are tires lol.....I had one ...I never liked it ...got a 6" craftsman/Atlas .... Used that a lot still have it ....but I like the 14 1/2" SouthBend better .....rarely use the little one ...it's easier to make small parts on the Southy....That little lathe will get expensive if you need a tailstock and gears for it ...tooling etc.
Now the toolbox behind it .....well that's a jewel does it come with it ? Is it full?

Sadly the guy never responded to my email so still on the look out for lathes to buy.

Back