Need Help Identify this Lathe

As stated in the post it is a craftsman made by atlas for sears. If it was for 10 bucks and just across the street I go get it.
But I got four lathes. If I did not have a lathe and he thru in the tool box in the photo and was thirty minutes away I go 49.99.
Just my 2 cents.

John

Ok thanks.

Wow not sure how i missed the info at the bottom stating what type it was.
lol now i wish i could change the thread title.

Yeah that toolbox would be nice since its missing a few things.

Found this one a good bit further away but it does show me whats missing.
http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/3864533632.html

Wonder how hard it would be to find a tailstock.

I had one of those back in the 60's. There is a Woodruff keyway in the spindle that shears off if you look at it too hard. I tried some really light cuts,and sheared out off every time.

That's more like it! Also check your PM's. I sent you one.

John

- - - Updated - - -

I got more than that in my stand for my little 618! I replaced it last year. I should post a few before and after photos. But that
last listing you posted is looking like a lathe.

When looking at any of these old engine lathes be sure to check the bedways, spindle bearings, change gear stack, lead screw shaft & threads and the half nut condition. The screw and half nut drive everything on this class of lathe and they wear out over time. These lathes are very old today and will most likely need attention in these areas. Mc Master Carr sell acme screw shaft and nuts that can be modified to work in most of these old lathes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Joe

OLD MODEL cool looking,but 3/8" thick ways instead of 1/2". And the later Atlas lathes were STILL too flexible. Plus,no QC box,though you can find them on Ebay,maybe for $400.00 more. Any change gears included?

Both the 6" lathes are Dunlop or also known I believe as AA? They were sold through Sears and are not Atlas equipment. Hard to get parts for.

The last one is much better and parts are readily available. Not as stiff as a 1000# or more unit but very capable within reason of cutting depths and tools used. Not really for carbide. Best with HSS tools.
Pierre

Like he said. It's a Dunlop lathe. There junk unless you want to cut wood with it. Even then I'd get a wood lathe. The only thing I used to like about them is I would find one and sell it on eBay for close to $300. Don't know why people wanted them but I sold a few that way. Maybe it was something their father had or they had a use for it I couldn't see for it.

The atlas was a better lathe. Even those you have to watch for worn ways.

Back