Need Help identify the wiring on an older GE 5KH45DR92X 115vac Motor

dpritchardjr

Registered
Registered
I received an older GE 5KH45DR92X 115vac Motor with the Atlas 618 lathe I recently purchased and can not find any info for wiring it (hopefully) to a forward/reverse switch.
It currently has terminals 1,2,6 taped together marked "Power" and 3,4,5 taped together marked "Common".
Before I power it, I want to make sure I do not let the magic smoke out, so any advice even in general to these motors would be appreciated!

Attachments

• GE-5KH45DR92X_MFG plate-2.jpg
    GE-5KH45DR92X_MFG plate-2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • GE-5KH45DR92X_Wiring terminals-3-4-5.jpg
    GE-5KH45DR92X_Wiring terminals-3-4-5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Try powering it: 1,2,6 being one side of the power and 3,4,5 the other side. See if it runs and post the results
Is that a capacitor start motor? Do you see any "bump" on the side of the case?
Do you have a switch in mind you plan to use?
-Mark

Last edited:
Ok, in the current 1,2,6 & 3,4,5 it turns CW.
No Cap.
I'm open to suggestion for the switch.

..Swapping 5 & 6 did, well let's just say I haven't arc-welded a plug like for some time!!!

Not sure if this will help, the color code on each wire is:
1-Green
2-Blue
3-Red
4-White
5-Yellow
6-Pink

So the first trial worked CW but then you swapped 5 and 6 and the breaker popped? Is that right?
Do you have a multimeter of some kind?
-M
In your first post you said 1,2 and 6 were marked "power" , and 3,4 and 5 were marked what?

Last edited:
Didn't leave it in long enough to pop a breaker, as soon as the plug hit the Hot side of the outlet it arced.
Yes, I do...What do you want me to check?
3,4,5 was marked common (neutral).

Did the motor start to turn in the CCW direction or did it just hum?
Some arcing is normal, was this much worse than the first trial?
How low is the lowest ohms range on your meter? Analog (needle type) or digital?
-Mark

No movement or hum, just arc-welding. See picture below...
I have a Fluke & Sencore DMM more than capable of measuring anything, could even break out the old Simpson analog if need be.
FYI...I have been working in the Digital high speed Printer Industry for the last 30+ years, just need guidance on how to figure this wiring out for the F/R switch.

Attachments

• Arced plug.jpg
    Arced plug.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 15
Oooh, that's a dead short alright. Are you sure you just swapped 5 and 6 and didn't inadvertently cross something?
It doesn't make sense that swapping those two would do that, since they were already across the line in the first case
Put it back to the prior case that ran CW and we can do a couple tests, namely I'd like to see what 5 and 6 measure.
-M
Also, can you post a couple more close-ups of the motor terminal board and wires?
Examine the wiring closely- something doesn't add up

Last edited:
Back