Need Good Single Point Threading Tool

I tried grinding my own HSS tools and found my skill very lacking. I went to a tangential tool holder (the Diamond Tool holder, actually) and I think it's the easiest way for newbies to get up and running. I was going to go with the Warner HSS inserts but the thought of having only one source for the HSS inserts quickly changed my mind. With the tangential holders you use a square 1/4" HSS tool that is reground on one surface (2 for threading). You can find good HSS blanks easily from many sources. Yes, you should at least attempt to learn about the various angles and reliefs needed and why for lathe tool bits but if you're like me and would like to get to regular turning, facing, etc... and learn to grind in the off time then go with the tangential holder.

I gave up on carbide for threading on my 9x20 lathe. I think the axa and saddle are not rigid enough because the point will
constantly chip. I purchased 1/2" x 3" hss blanks and ground them to 60 degrees and will never look back.
I sharpened 2 for a large threading project of 20 pieced and I'm still using the first one a few projects later.
Steve

Vardex makes excellent lay down insert threading tools if that is what you are looking for, high positive rake that makes them rather fragile but easy on low powered/low rigidity machines or not terribly rigid set ups.
I don't like them because they are screw-on inserts and prefer TopKnotch tools whenever possible.

Although I do agree on the HSS I don't agree with everything mentioned in this thread. Yes, generally carbide is not recommended for light machines, slow speeds, & shallow DOCs but I've never had a problem using them even at slow speeds, I often don't thread at high speeds.

I mainly use the carbide inserts because of their indexing capabilities. In fact all I use is indexable carbide, very rarely do I use HSS for turning. It's just quicker & easier for me to swap an insert or rotate it. Yeah, I know, I'm lazy. ;) I admit I probably don't always use them as efficiently as I should but I buy inserts at value price 90% of the time so I don't really care.

I've had great results with the threading tools I posted so far on aluminum, brass, copper, 1018, 1144, 303, 304, O-1, & 6Al-4V. Not always the greatest on 1018 but not bad & is expected. I've had those tools since 2009 & I'm still only on the second tip of that same partial profile insert (I use 20TPI full profile inserts also). I currently have a 12x36 but I used to use the same tools & the very same inserts on my 8x14 (8x14 shown below).

Img_6121.jpg

Img_6102.jpg

Well we know who to send all the threading job's to now. Nice threads darkzero

if you can get both HSS and carbide tooling, I would!!!
some jobs are just easier to accomplish with carbide, some could easily be done with HSS.

it give things a go HSS first, then if there is a necessity i'll graduate to carbide.
i do like to thread stainless with carbide whenever possible.

I use Carmex insert tools like Will for internal threads. I use Kennametal top notch and Nicole for external threads. Kennametal for coarse threads, 16 and lower tpi.
Dave

I use Carmex insert tools like Will for internal threads. I use Kennametal top notch and Nicole for external threads. Kennametal for coarse threads, 16 and lower tpi.
Dave

Damnit! I keep forgetting to order a threading insert for my Nikcoles. I just placed an order with Enco today too! I'm a big fan of the Nikcole Mini Systems. I wanted a threading insert for it so I could really get close up to a shoulder. Luckily the last time I needed to I was able to do it with the Carmex. Thanks for the reminder Dave, I hope I remember.

Back