Need Good Single Point Threading Tool

sanddan

Active User
Registered
I have been struggling with single point threading, mostly with the tooling I have. I got a cheap turning tool set that came with a 60 deg straight tool for threading that I felt never really worked very good. I bought a somewhat better (I thought) tool that had a insert that was clamped in a groove that I have tried several times but it didn't seem to clamp the insert very well causing chipping at the tip. The inserts are had to find (only found at Grizzly so far and they are back ordered). ENCO has 20% off and I found a holder that uses an insert with three cutting edges. Would this be the threading tool I have been looking for? Or other options?

Here's the link. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=7908977&PMAKA=422-3040

This would be used for aluminum and carbon steel with SS infrequently.

Frist what lathe do you have? And what tools are you using now?

I have been struggling with single point threading, mostly with the tooling I have. I got a cheap turning tool set that came with a 60 deg straight tool for threading that I felt never really worked very good. I bought a somewhat better (I thought) tool that had a insert that was clamped in a groove that I have tried several times but it didn't seem to clamp the insert very well causing chipping at the tip. The inserts are had to find (only found at Grizzly so far and they are back ordered). ENCO has 20% off and I found a holder that uses an insert with three cutting edges. Would this be the threading tool I have been looking for? Or other options?

Here's the link. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=7908977&PMAKA=422-3040

This would be used for aluminum and carbon steel with SS infrequently.
Grind a tool from HSS. It isn't hard.

+1 what John said. Unless you plan on threading at high speeds, HSS works better than any carbide that I have found.

I use the same Carmex tools linked for both internal & external threading. The inserts last a very long time for me, even on 304 & Ti. I like Carmex a lot.

Img_6170.jpg

Unless you can thread at several hundred RPMs, you don't need carbide. HSS will do for anything you want to thread, unless it's been hardened, then you want to anneal it anyway. Using a nominal surface feed of 90 FPM, a 3/4 thread could easily be chased with HSS at 458 rpm. At that speed carbide will load up and chip rather than cut cleanly.

If HSS inserts will suit your needs, you might look at A.R. Warner tools.

I have some of their 5/8” turning, threading and boring tools. I haven’t turned any SS, but have been very happy with them for carbon steel, brass and aluminum on my 8.5x20 lathe.

Tom

Back