Need Advice From The Pros

Hi @DJames!

As @Eddyde says above and as Scotty says so well "you canna change the laws of physics!"

But seriously, it is actually a complex issue.

I have a Canadian Tire "Mastercraft" 55-3504-4 wet sharpener like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/wet-stone-s...raft-model-55-3504-4-/322211982307?rmvSB=true

But I have never been happy with it......stock removal is just wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyy ttttttoooooo ssssssllllloooooowwww!

I get it, you do NOT want to overheat things! okay fine, but they have a motor that is just useless for any real stock removal. You could stop it easily with a finger with no skin damage(I just proved it now!) Perhaps your father is MUCH more patient than I am.....and maybe it would work for him....maybe. I'd suggest that you hang around a bit and get some first-hand testimonials from some owners that like their rigs

-brino

Have your dad look at CBN wheels for shaping and sharpening. For fine sharpening, I'm with Mike and say that the Tormek is an outstanding finish sharpening system. I've use one a friend owns and it is a very nice machine.

Have your dad look at CBN wheels for shaping and sharpening. For fine sharpening, I'm with Mike and say that the Tormek is an outstanding finish sharpening system. I've use one a friend owns and it is a very nice machine.
CBN rules,pricey but good. Water cooled grinders are cheaper than some CBN wheels and also very good. Your preference here.

I didn't think I would get a response so quickly let alone so much insight. It's funny because, I'm often on forums for other stuff like IT and Software issues and, it can take a long time to get a reply. You guys are stellar, thanks! So I'm getting a good snap shot of what experts are using, Ive been checking them out. Price is always a concern but as my dad said, if you have a good sharpener it will save you money so it's not a tool to be stingy on.

In my research, I came across cuttermasters website and they seem to have a revolutionary product using a DC motor, I think its called the Tradesman DC3. This grinder coupled with their diamond cutting wheels is exactly what we're looking for. Clean, Quiet, Adjustable speeds the whole bit. But from what I can see its a pretty new product on the market so has anyone used it?

Heres a video i found:

If your Dad is sharpening HSS, I would avoid their diamond wheels and go for their CBN wheels. CBN is intended to cut HSS and you can buy CBN wheels to fit a standard grinder for a lot less than their grinder. I like that the motor is a DC variable speed motor, though.

What John said. Diamond is fine for steel at hand sharpening surface speeds. Much faster and they don't get along.

The Tormek is a system specifically designed for exactly what your father is doing. You would be hard-pressed to find anything better suited.

But that Tradesman could be it. That's awesome. Does it have other accessories? I hate tiny tool rests on expensive grinders. The Tormek system has a whole range of tool guides that ensure a perfectly consistent angle and finish across your tool. Even handles large and small radius gouges. If the Tradesman doesn't offer anything like that then I would hold off on it until their system matures.

There are options for slow speed grinders, even down to a Craftsman one that is a wet dry grinder.
One possible suggestion that you may not be aware of. Using a granite cutout from a kitchen counter or a heavy piece of glass and wet dry sand paper for final honing operations. Because the abrasive material is immediately renewable you don't get the center wear that you will with stones over time and the cost is way less than having 5 or so expensive sharpening stones sitting there. Simply wet the glass, put a partial sheet of sand paper on it (wet dry of course) and then wet the paper. I use this method on knives and get very keen edges with it.

Just an additional thought.

Back