Need Advice From The Pros

DJames

Registered
Registered
My dad is looking for a grinder that doesn't heat tools up, something he can slow down when hes sharpening his wood tools. Any advice on a grinder that will keep its power but turn slowly?

Keep an eye out for a 3 phase grinder. Industrial auctions are a great place to find one. Connect a VFD to power it and bingo, instant variable speed via a dial (potentiometer)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks Aaron! Is there not a device i can just buy that is already designed for variable speed without jimmy rigging?

Grizzly Industrial sells several wet grinders intended for sharpening woodworking tools without drawing the temper.

Grizzly Industrial sells several wet grinders intended for sharpening woodworking tools without drawing the temper.
These wet grinders are annoying dont you think? I mean it just seems a bit outdated why hasnt someone invented a grinder you dont need to soak. Good advice still Im on the right track thats for sure.

These wet grinders are annoying dont you think? I mean it just seems a bit outdated why hasnt someone invented a grinder you dont need to soak. Good advice still Im on the right track thats for sure.
Cause you can't get around the physics, friction form grinding creates heat, excessive heat removes the temper from the steel. Wet grinding will be around for a while...

Go have a look in your Lee Valley store in Ottawa. They have great sharpening set ups for woodworking tools.
Some dry some wet.

A good option would be a variable speed belt grinder like the high end Burr-King grinders. They are pricey.

Back