Need Advice From The Pros

If you want the best ever, look for an Oliver 585 tool grinder, I've been using mine for over 40 years with the same wheels, one course and one fine and a leather strop as well. fully adjustable tool rest and kerosene cooled and lubricated wheels. I would think you could find a 585 cheaper than that Tormek toy if you want to sharpen all your tools and the friends you will acquire.

We all like our toys, and the above options are top-of-the-line. For a very inexpensive low-tech approach that is very old school, get a grinder arbor and run it off a low HP 1725 motor geared down to about 500 RPM, with intermittent dunking in a water pot.

My dad before me and I have used the same setup for over 60 years to sharpen chisels and the like without burning and very low $$$.

This may not what you are looking for, but I have been a carpenter, woodworker, and have collected and used wooden planes for more than 30 years. I just use aluminum oxide wheels in a regular grinder and dip the tool when it begins to feel hot. I sharpen chisels, plane blades and everything else in between. Easy, peasy... not rocket science... :)

Brian

The real trick is to keep them sharp with stropping with red or white jewellers rouse The strop with the polish makes the edge stay sharp . When used often.
I have an old pedal treadle wheel with a steel frame and a drip funnel from a hundred years ago , you won't ever burn a chisel on that . If you lucky it'll do ten rpms . But hasn't been used in thirty years.
I still think hand stones are best for those with light oil. Then stropping of course.

Last edited:
I would second the Tormek endorsement. I am not sure how I got along without one for the first 45 years of my life...

Back