Need a super-sized micrometer

There were a couple there that would get close but no dice. Thanks
I'm looking for alternative ideas other than giant micrometers. I meant the title to be a little sarcastic, but I see that was not clear. Maybe some others will post some creative solutions that might help others on here of varying tool budgets.
Thank Again

Since I don’t have any exotic thickness measuring devices, I’d take my 8” calipers and measure inside height of the box wall in the corner that is dimensioned 6.406 +/- .005. I'd repeat until I got a consistent reading then do the math.

Tom

When I worked for a medical device company at the turn of the century, I was tasked with coming up with a method for measuring the thickness of slabs of epoxy composite that ranged from 2mm to 50mm in thickness and sizes up to 50cm square. I needed to measure thickness to .01mm precision at random locations on the face of the slabs.

One of the concerns is that the slabs were possibly not flat so I needed to account for that. My solution was to make a platform with five ball bearings arrange in a pattern as is found on the face of a die. The central ball was a few mm higher than the other four, ensuring that the bottom of the slab would make contact at that point. The remaining balls were there simply to limit the amount of tilting of slab resting on them could experience.

Directly opposing the central ball was a Mitutoyo digital indicator on an adjustable arm much like a traditional height gage. To account for different slab thicknesses, gage blocks were used to substitute for the slab thicknesses. To use, a thin stainless steel sheet was placed on the balls and the digital indicator was zeroed at the location the central ball, using a gage block if necessary. The gage block was removed and the slab inserted in its place and positioned at a location where a thickness measurement was desired. The SS sheet was thin enough that it would conform to the surface of the slab, ensuring that intimate contact with the central ball was achieved. The slab thickness at that point was equal to the indicator reading plus the gage block length. This was a simple and quick way to make multiple thickness measurements that could not be achieved with a micrometer.

Since I don’t have any exotic thickness measuring devices, I’d take my 8” calipers and measure inside height of the box wall in the corner that is dimensioned 6.406 +/- .005. I'd repeat until I got a consistent reading then do the math.

Tom
The bottom has a hump of unknown height in the middle where the measurement needs to be taken. Additionally the side height dimensions are not accurate. Thanks

When I worked for a medical device company at the turn of the century, I was tasked with coming up with a method for measuring the thickness of slabs of epoxy composite that ranged from 2mm to 50mm in thickness and sizes up to 50cm square. I needed to measure thickness to .01mm precision at random locations on the face of the slabs.

One of the concerns is that the slabs were possibly not flat so I needed to account for that. My solution was to make a platform with five ball bearings arrange in a pattern as is found on the face of a die. The central ball was a few mm higher than the other four, ensuring that the bottom of the slab would make contact at that point. The remaining balls were there simply to limit the amount of tilting of slab resting on them could experience.

Directly opposing the central ball was a Mitutoyo digital indicator on an adjustable arm much like a traditional height gage. To account for different slab thicknesses, gage blocks were used to substitute for the slab thicknesses. To use, a thin stainless steel sheet was placed on the balls and the digital indicator was zeroed at the location the central ball, using a gage block if necessary. The gage block was removed and the slab inserted in its place and positioned at a location where a thickness measurement was desired. The SS sheet was thin enough that it would conform to the surface of the slab, ensuring that intimate contact with the central ball was achieved. The slab thickness at that point was equal to the indicator reading plus the gage block length. This was a simple and quick way to make multiple thickness measurements that could not be achieved with a micrometer.
That's a great creative method. The dome in the center of this box seems to be an issue.

One of my valued personal skills is asking questions. Unless I missed it, why is the thickness of the box's bottom matter to you?

Lay it on something dead flat.
Measure the height from the inside bottom to the lip with a height gauge.
Measure the outside height.
Subtract.

This assumes that things are nice and flat, but if you're asking for .005, then they have to be.

RJ’s got it. Known reference surfaces.

Tom
The bottom has a hump of unknown height in the middle where the measurement needs to be taken. Additionally the side height dimensions are not accurate. Thanks
Sorry, but since you published the dimensions of an assymetrical box as if that was important, I assumed they were accurate to +/- .005 as marked and were germane to the discussion. My bad.

Is this a practical application or a hypothetical riddle? You have been given a number of solutions, but they take tools/equipment that you apparently don't have. If you aren't willing to invest in the needed tools to do the job, why bother?

Tom

Back