Need a "Soft" Hammer-Brass or Copper?

Yeah they started with the zinc weights about the time they decided lead was too toxic to allow in the public anymore. The easiest way I know is to inspect the batch and the weights that look like the clip that holds it on the rim is seperate from the weight is zinc. I worked at a Firestone during the Explorer debacle and we ballanced a tire or two and got into reusing the lead weights to cast bars in old valve covers to make our roundy round car meet the weight requirement. It was better to bolt on weight low and where you wanted it rather than just throwing something in anywhere. Once you see a zinc weight you will be able to pick em out of a pile pretty easily. If you have a doubt, ask the tire guys at the local shop, a knowledgeable real live tire guy will have that training and be able to demonstrate the difference easily.
Bob

You can also tell by cutting them with side cutters. The lead cuts much easier than the zinc and has a lower melting temp.

Bryan

Come on Benny.

If you look closely, you'll see that those surfaces get machined after getting the "heck" beat out of them. Obviously if you were seating a finished part in the vise you would not use a ball pein hammer.

Tom

That is not entirely true. What I am trying to point out here is that in there are many methods in machining to accomplish the same thing and it doesn't always take a special tool to do it........................... If you refer to the video that Benny provided above, "the guy" explains quite well. It's kind of fun to see my video popping up all over the internet and I was not aware that it had made machinistblog.com. :cool:

Tom

Tom,

I was kidding about "the guy" beating the heck out of the part. I thought that was you in the video even though the other site gave you no credits for the fine work. Great video and you did make it very clear you were just getting the stock square and there was finish stock left.

I also have a ball pein handy at the machine in fact I have a whole box full of hammers, just can't find it. There were about a 1/2 doz. hammers on the peg board but they got taken down and laid around the garage on what Charley calls my horizontal storage area.

Benny

Tom,

I was kidding about "the guy" beating the heck out of the part. I thought that was you in the video even though the other site gave you no credits for the fine work. Great video and you did make it very clear you were just getting the stock square and there was finish stock left.

I also have a ball pein handy at the machine in fact I have a whole box full of hammers, just can't find it. There were about a 1/2 doz. hammers on the peg board but they got taken down and laid around the garage on what Charley calls my horizontal storage area.

Benny

Got it Benny, and thanks for the explanation.

As has been discussed before on this forum, it's easy to misinterpret the wording of a post without seeing the face or hearing the voice of the person behind it. We work pretty hard here to keep these discussions civil and not allow them to spin out of control as they do on too many other forums. Life is too short for that sort of nonsense.

Now, how is it possible to lose an entire box of hammers?

Tom

Thanks for the advice guys,

Today I ordered a brass 8oz Made in USA hammer from Enco, along with a Lixie (thanks McRuff) and a few other thing as well.

Got it Benny, and thanks for the explanation.

As has been discussed before on this forum, it's easy to misinterpret the wording of a post without seeing the face or hearing the voice of the person behind it. We work pretty hard here to keep these discussions civil and not allow them to spin out of control as they do on too many other forums. Life is too short for that sort of nonsense.

Now, how is it possible to lose an entire box of hammers?

Tom

Tom,

Sorry if my attempt at humor bothered you. My humor is a little dry or as my wife says a little sick. You and the other moderators do a great job of keeping this place civil. I like that!

The loss of a box of hammers is not that hard in my garage/shop and has become a source of humor to those who have seen it. A few months ago I gathered up some body tools and hammers and put them into a spare tool/tote box. When I went to look for one of the hammers I could not even find the box. Charley Davidson knows this and gives me a bad time (in a good fun way) about my horizontal storage space and how I use it. On my list of round-to-it is “install additional wall storage” and “reduce the number of machines” (duplicate only).

You see I too am a tool addict.

Benny

"how do you lose a box of hammers?"

Benny, do you work for the government?*

:):):):):):)

* ok... it was a bad joke...

1200rpm.
Your question about the lost box of hammers........see my reply to Tom above.

Your question about where I work........I see the humor in that but then it has already been determined that my sense of humor is bad. Does that make it a bad joke?

Benny

I made my hammer out of 1-1/8 copper and filled it with lead. The only problem is I used too much lead. Dang that thing's heavy. lol

Pat

Another way to separate the zinc from lead wheel weights, is to hit them with a hammer. The lead ones dent a lot more than the zinc ones.

Last edited:
How do you loose a box of hammers? (':shrugs:') Could it be possible that you have the same problem Phil has? (':headscratch:')That damn Dog must have took them (':biggrin:')

I cant leave any hammers laying about that have a wood handle, The dog will take them, and chew the crap out of the handles. Ive found a few while mowing the lawn (':shocked:')

Back