Need A Rotating & Locking Intermediate Part. Do They Make This?

If you look at the construction of the four way tool post on a lathe, it basically does what you want. Replace the beveled pin with a straight pin or one slightly rounded and you have it. It shouldn't take too much work to make a similar device.

thanks a bunch RJ. I think you have offered the kid a place to get into hands-on w/ that one.

Hope everyone here in HM land is doing well! The kids doing very little CAD/CAM/CNC work due to Collage Scholarship workloads. I'm working endlessly to get the house 'sell' ready. This project is something Mitch wants to sell to help his College fund. ;-) He has a nifty idea! letting him do the work on this one more than I.

Hi everyone,
My son is making something and needs a key part. He struck out and asked me if we could buy this or something similar. If we need to make it, we're not sure how to really approach it due to the rotating and snap-lock requirement.

A picture is below. There is an A side to thead into. Same on B side. when he puts this between his latest project, he can rotate it in 90 degree increments w/ a snap-lock type feel. Then a release or pressure turn to the next position. We can adapt the opening sizes on each end - But need a minimum of around 1.5" to 3" or so.

I've looked on several sites. McMaster, Grainger and a few specialty sites. I simply am not sure what you call this.
View attachment 123597

Make both A & B pieces with a center pivot. Scribe centerlines both ways for detents. A small pin that is spring loaded thru A will go into detent hole B.
mike

Drill holes deep enough for springs and a ball bearing at each 90 degree mark on A, and matching detents on B. Secure a to b with a through bolt and nylock nut to control how hard it is to turn....

Add a narrow intermediate dial between the two threaded portions to function as a lock that holds a spring loaded detent in place until it is released by rotating the intermediate ring.

I wonder if there is a similar dzus fitting...Which are quick fasteners

Back