Need A Rotating & Locking Intermediate Part. Do They Make This?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone,
My son is making something and needs a key part. He struck out and asked me if we could buy this or something similar. If we need to make it, we're not sure how to really approach it due to the rotating and snap-lock requirement.

A picture is below. There is an A side to thead into. Same on B side. when he puts this between his latest project, he can rotate it in 90 degree increments w/ a snap-lock type feel. Then a release or pressure turn to the next position. We can adapt the opening sizes on each end - But need a minimum of around 1.5" to 3" or so.

I've looked on several sites. McMaster, Grainger and a few specialty sites. I simply am not sure what you call this.
rotator-Piece.jpg

I'm not sure what you might call it, and I've not seen a hardware item like it. I think I see a spring loaded detent in there somewhere. Maybe a pin and a cam arrangement. Looks like a good 4th axis job.;)

Wonder if you could scrap a Rubic's cube for the working bits inside? Aside from the fact I've always wondered how those things work, I bought a small version of one shortly before Christmas. It only had 9 squares per side I think, but it had that positive "snap-turn-lock" feel that I think you're after. Cheap, like six bucks or something, in a bookstore.

-frank

If you look at the construction of the four way tool post on a lathe, it basically does what you want. Replace the beveled pin with a straight pin or one slightly rounded and you have it. It shouldn't take too much work to make a similar device.

If you look at the construction of the four way tool post on a lathe, it basically does what you want. Replace the beveled pin with a straight pin or one slightly rounded and you have it. It shouldn't take too much work to make a similar device.

I was thinking indexing head with four detents. Same idea, just make the two parts, bolt them together and one one, make a single impression, on the opposite piece, on the same radius as the first single impression, make four, 90' apart and go from there.

This sounds like a bayonet mount that you see on the tail light of a car. Or more complicated, a camera bayonet mount so that you can change lenses.

An idea of its purpose would be helpful - is it meant to deliver torque through the "snap lock", is it all rotating, is it static and purely positioning two sections relative to each other?
If it's just positioning, ball-and-spring with bevelled detents, multiply by x for a firmer location. It'll need a bit of depth, and a bolt & thrust washer or something to hold the two parts together and keep the springs compressed, of course...

Dave H. (the other one)

Back