Name That Clamp/vise

catoctin

Active User
Registered
Every now and then I need to drill/tap long stock on my mill and it is a real PIA trying to find a way to do the clamping. I noted a clamp/vise in this YouTube video that seems like a possible solution:

Who make that red right angle clamping device that the guy in the video is using?

Thanks,
-Joe

It almost looks like one of those corner clamps for welding that's been modified.

I've never seen anything like it.

Also noticed, he's eyeballing the location to tap, not exact, but close. Also, what is covered with the tarps in the background. is he ashamed of his stuff?

Is he performing a tapping operation with some sort of clutch tapping head in that video? I've seen those, but if that is what is being used, I didn't realize you can run them at that high a spindle speed. Wow.

Ah- after the video completed, it indicated it was a tapmatic. Interesting.

Yeah, that's a normal speed (probably aluminum) for tapping, and yes, notice when it hits bottom it ratchets, rather than spinning; the operator lifts on the Z quill and the head reverses from the work. Nice if you have one.

You can still power tap using reverse on a mill with a spiral point tap. You can do it without a Procunier or similar
tapmatic head.

I've never seen anything like it.

Also noticed, he's eyeballing the location to tap, not exact, but close. Also, what is covered with the tarps in the background. is he ashamed of his stuff?

Maybe he just wants to keep chips, dust, dirt, etc. out of whatever he has covered up.

Maybe he just wants to keep chips, etc. out of whatever he has covered up.

Never thought of that. dunno why not!

Back