Mystery

We had reversing lead screws on our machines at work . The traverse direction switches while the motor rotation stays the same . Pretty cool little cam mechanism . We constantly had to fix them because the operators would insert the cams in backwards and jam the machine . They have all been upgraded to newer components that we cannot open as they are only repaired by the manufacturer . They use some kind of reversing rollers but we didn't get any blueprints . :dunno:

Some kind of a thingamajigger, It may be a weight, I guess that's a good a guess as any :D

If it's not "ballast" I wonder if it was part of a tracing attachment of some sort to cut internal grease grooves in bushings?

I'd go along with the ballast theory, lathes without taper attachments are typically too light at the back of the carriage and tool pressure can cause the carriage to lift in the back making it easy for chips and other dirty stuff to get under and cause damage to the way surfaces, so far as the parts shown, I have seen very similar screws used on large turret lathes for rapid travel features,

As said, extra weight. I can see this being useful if you had something long in the carriage that needed a slot cut, or a simple milling operation.

Back