Mystery

Harry Knutz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what the is on the back of the cross slide area of a Southbend 16?

1688997204386.png

Never seen one before. Looks like the shaft on a yankee screwdriver. Some sort of rapid drive. Two different helices, so two different speeds. Can't tell if it drives the carraige or vice versa. Can you get more detail?

It’s hard to tell how they are even held on the lathe. There’s no end brackets

Never seen one before. Looks like the shaft on a yankee screwdriver. Some sort of rapid drive. Two different helices, so two different speeds. Can't tell if it drives the carraige or vice versa. Can you get more detail?
Looks like the shaft on a yankee screwdriver, Great analogy for it! This lathe was on a navy ship, It has been on CL for over a year, He used to have a pic of an Anchor and USN stamped near the ways at the end of the bed. I had never seen anything like this attachment before and wondered if anyone else had.

they are weight.. that's all.

But they are for transversing back and forth.. your typical caged (baitcasting) fishing reel has that , many winches have that to equalize the line back in across the sheave. Those appear to be cut, since they don't have the wrap around area, they just end.

they are weight.. that's all.

But they are for transversing back and forth.. your typical caged (baitcasting) fishing reel has that , many winches have that to equalize the line back in across the sheave. Those appear to be cut, since they don't have the wrap around area, they just end.
I don't know that I agree, There are 2 levers just above them and on the left side that seem to be associated with the device. My first real lathe was a Southbend 13 single tumbler that is almost identical to this lathe and mine did not have those levers, Also, Why would weight be needed there?

I don't know that I agree, There are 2 levers just above them and on the left side that seem to be associated with the device. My first real lathe was a Southbend 13 single tumbler that is almost identical to this lathe and mine did not have those levers, Also, Why would weight be needed there?
those levers were made for that hack up... those mounting holes are where the taper jig would attach. Someone simply made and used that for some other purpose. I'm guessing that this helped tame some chatter, or looseness in the gib plate at the back... the chatter would be helped with more mass.

I think I agree with @woodchucker If you look close at those tabs they appear to be welded to the shafts

Ah, that too, a "levelwind". Wish my air hose reel had one.

This is just weight added probably to balance a "load" i.e. tools that would. Cause the slide to lift.
Since there is no g I b on the back way only a cap

Back