mystery tools tyme

SE18

Active User
Registered
aDSC00040.jpgaDSC00041.jpgaDSC00042.jpgaDSC00043.jpgaDSC00044.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

every once in a while someone posts a mystery tool. Here are mine. As you can see, the one "machine" has a rack and pinion, the rack being a hard plastic. There are some springs in it.

The other piece is sort of like a drill press device and someone used clamps to hold whatever it was they were doing to the machine. Someone told me he thought it was used by a gun enthusiast.

I picked up both pieces a while back at a thrift shop, hoping to someday use them as is or modify them for some type of future project

DaveV

aDSC00040.jpg aDSC00041.jpg aDSC00042.jpg aDSC00043.jpg aDSC00044.jpg

Dave,

I have no clue on the first one. The second one is a poor man's drill press. You hose clamp your hand held drill to it.

Steve

The drill press thing is a drill press. A portable (usually 1/4" electric drill) is clamped/strapped in the V-channel.

Ken

The first one is an attachment for a bench grinder, that is used to grind wood chisels and hand plane blades. It was probably sold by craftsman (sears). Looks to be missing the part that bolts to the bench.

The first one is an attachment for a bench grinder to sharpen plane irons and wood chisels, they attach to the side not shown and the rack and pinion mechanisim moves the item to be sharpened back and forth across the grinding wheel. I think the piece to actually attach it to the grinder is missing.

Bill

thanks! I'll try to get the bench grinder hooked up somehow to mine. As to the poor boy's drill holder, I'll probably find another use for it or for the metal parts as I've already got a drill press and a mini drill press for my dremel as well. Thanks machinists!

The second one does look like a drill press, but I have seen people use them for concrete drilling and coring (although that wont take a very big core bit). I have used a similar one (with a bigger hole in the base) to help keep 4" cored holes straight with a block wall (as 4" pipe doesn't like to bend lol).

You could make a tapping stand like this from the drill press.

image4-311.jpe

image4-311.jpe

image4-311.jpe

I know this is an old message I just now opened it tonight and thought what the heck, anyway the second tool the one with a plastic gear and a rack was sold by Sears and is mounted on your grinder to sharpen wood chisels planer blades etc. You clamp the chisel set the angle and use the gear and its knob to move the chisel back and forth over the wheel. Works pretty good I still have one someplace in the junk box. Cheers Jack

Back