Mystery metal?

The chip colors say tool steel to me.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
While I am not an expert on metals it machines tough and once cut properly almost has a stainless look to it with the shine on machined surfaces. I will post some more pics tomorrow of a cut surface.

the diameter is very handy for many projects and it appears to machine well.
i don't know what steel you have, but you got a great deal!
nice score :grin:

Ill take a length to make an arbor for my atlas mill. Can I buy a foot and a half or two .

Ill take a length to make an arbor for my atlas mill. Can I buy a foot and a half or two .
Absolutely. I have a sick daughter and late night er visit and now I have been feeling sick. but back to work today and I am not sure How to get are info on this site ( I am new ish) but I will gladly lop of a section an mail it off. Ill post up some pics of how it really machines today.

Maybe cut a small piece and go to a pawn shop to see if they can identify it for you many pawn shops have handheld analyzers they use to identify gold silver etc may be worth a shot

Some scrap metal places also have them they're called alloy testers or xrf analyzers

XRF probably not accurate enough to differentiate alloys. It will tell if elements are there, and an idea of percentages, but guidelines only.

I have a fair amount of testing done, and worked in a metallurgical lab.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Back