Mystery Fixtures/Tool/???

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This pile of fixtures/parts/tools/whatever came with my "new" Kearney & Trecker 2H Plain mill, but I can't see how they're related to one another. This was from an estate auction where the gentleman had a pretty complete machine shop in his detached garage, so it could really be anything. I don't think that all of the parts go together, but the majority of the black parts all have markings like CAA-29, etc, so those should go together. Thoughts?mystery.jpg

May have been a fixture for a specific job? The two on the left look like riser blocks for maybe two machine vises.
Martin

2 on the left could be old die blocks if they match up or could easily be made into them .

The thing on the right looks like it has Morse taper shanks, so my guess would be some kind of double right angled drill arrangement. No idea on the rest though

Something about them doesn’t say so much machine tool as it does hardware assembly. They almost look architectural, like the pieces that make up the inside of a safe door or something like that that. I see a lot of milled surfaces but none that scream reference surface to me.

Maybe it’s the black japanned finish, I don’t know, but even the twin gear assembly makes me think of some mechanism being operated by two identical knobs or handles.

I also don’t see any real provision for oil or lubrication, what residue remains looks more like assembly grease than operating grease, so low speed and limited movements come to mind.

Great challenge though, way better than cheap crosswords!

-frank

Something about them doesn’t say so much machine tool as it does hardware assembly. They almost look architectural, like the pieces that make up the inside of a safe door or something like that that. I see a lot of milled surfaces but none that scream reference surface to me.

Maybe it’s the black japanned finish, I don’t know, but even the twin gear assembly makes me think of some mechanism being operated by two identical knobs or handles.

I also don’t see any real provision for oil or lubrication, what residue remains looks more like assembly grease than operating grease, so low speed and limited movements come to mind.

Great challenge though, way better than cheap crosswords!

-frank
I totally agree Frank. I love this kind of stuff and you’re right again, much better than a crossword. At first glance they look like something that might be tooling but the harder you look the less sense it makes as they don’t appear to easily attach. My inner junkyard dog sees repurpose all over that stuff.

Back