MY SHOP AND HOME

Looks great Brian. I admire your attention to detail. What kind of siding is that? Also an impressive collection of hand tools.

'Bout time to case some windows, huh?:whistle: :LOL:

Nice job on the house/shop very awesome work. And I know what you mean by happens to all horizontal surfaces in the shop, I have the same problem.

Paul

Very nice Brian, fine work! How do you heat-cool the shop ?

David

Hello David,

Thanks.... I heat the shop with electric baseboard heaters. I was looking into in-floor heating at the time of the build, but that would have cost nearly $7000.00 . I have my own well and septic system, so the only utilities that I pay is an electric bill. Roughly $85.00/month in the summer and around $150.00/month in the winter. These figures are for the shop and house combined. I never have to cool the shop, as it seems to stay nice and cool unless I open up the big door and windows. It would stay even cooler if I'd get off my duff and case the windows and install blinds.

Brian

Looks great Brian. I admire your attention to detail. What kind of siding is that? Also an impressive collection of hand tools.

'Bout time to case some windows, huh?:whistle: :LOL:

Hahaha.... Yes it is about time I cased the shop windows.... :)

This is the detail of the windows upstairs that I will duplicate for the shop. It's just pine, but with shop made details. I tried to take a pic of the window in it's entirety, but the camera would only adjust the lighting to the bright outside and the trees.

IMGP0499600x800_zps999f0b6b.jpg

IMGP0498800x600_zps545b0a87.jpg

It is just vinyl siding, but all of the trims around the windows, fascia and woodwork is rough sawn eastern white cedar with a solid stain.

Brian

IMGP0499600x800_zps999f0b6b.jpg

IMGP0498800x600_zps545b0a87.jpg

Very fine job on the home/shop Brian. It's the details that you've incorporated that sets it apart. Great job!
Phil

Brian, I love your home/workshop, and am not envious in the slightest! :biggrin: (I often wondered what this green grin smiley is for)

I was self employed in property renovation for 35 yrs and had my shop attached to my house, keeps the overheads down, way better than renting a separate unit.

Good job well done View attachment 62156

Bernard

Hello Bernard,

Thank you... :)

I've been at carpentry for 27 years, but only got the nerve to go out on my own 5 years ago. I'm sure glad that I did. It sets a whole different feeling towards work. I've always worked hard, but being self-employed gives you a measure of freedom that is real nice. If I want to take a day off, I do. Mind you, contracting can be feast or famine, so there is stress when you don't have enough work and stress when you're too busy and can't get to your customers when you should be.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Great looking shop! I have the same problem in my shop with flat surfaces. Nice plane collection under the bench too.:thumbsup:

Hello Greg,

Thanks... :)

Collecting, researching, sharpening and using hand planes have really improved my hand tool skills. I've learned some very interesting things about how wooden moulding planes were constructed and utilize some of those techniques in my work.

Brian

Very nice work. Really enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for showing us.

Back