My rant about shipping cost

I don't know how they make any money shipping me all the wrong parts.. and they don't want them back! I gave up dealing with them years ago.
Now they want them back. Even if the package is lost. If it gets delivered at a later date you must agree to pay for both items or, send the last one back. Ask me how I know this.

Why would shipping cost have anything to do with the product's cost? Should a cheap import HSS end mill cost less to ship than a name brand carbide end mill of the same size? What about an import drill chuck compared to a top end Albrecht? It costs the shipping company the same in either case. The shipping fees most of these companies charge is well worth having it delivered to my door, in most cases the next day with the vendors I use. When you factor in what it really costs you to drive to a store to buy something, especially if it is not in your town, the shipping these companies charge is a bargain. I gladly pay McMaster Carr's shipping fees, their fantastic website and customer service is worth that cost. I don't use Amazon even with the free shipping due to the aggrevation of finding what I want, and they won't ship anything quickly unless I have Prime. That doesn't mean I don't shop around to find the best prices, but my time is valuable too, and a company that makes my purchases easier is going to get my business.

For things I don't need right away, I like having the USPS option, but companies use UPS and FedEx because it helps streamline their logistics operations, ie reduces costs. Shipping things through the post office adds more complications, Travers used to have a post office option for shipping, but removed it earlier this year. I have also found USPS rates are not always cheaper, and if the envelope is thicker than 1/4", it can't ship first class, and gets charged at parcel rates.

I'm befuddled.:faint: How is it that one can order small packages coming all the way from China
at so little cost? I routinely order small parts or tools on E-Bay from China with either free
shipping or at what I would call a reasonable shipping cost. Usually the shipping cost in the states
is a deterrent to me since the cost to ship here is usually greater than the value of what is in the box.:dunno:

Of course, nothing is really "free" and "free shipping" isn't really free because the shipper has to include
the shipping costs in the product. A lot of times on E-Bay I see the same item with "free shipping" selling
for several dollars more than the same item without "free shipping" which only proves that there is no
"free lunch". :xmaslights:
That is certainly true but it is hard to rationalize how a $2 item can be shipped for free when I can't send anything thicker than a few mils for less than $5. e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-EC...&qid=1695574395&sprefix=cr2032,aps,166&sr=8-3

That is certainly true but it is hard to rationalize how a $2 item can be shipped for free when I can't send anything thicker than a few mils for less than $5. e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-ECR2032-Lithium-3-Volt-Battery/dp/B001C1BUCS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24MBY6IPD4N6O&keywords=cr2032+3v+battery&qid=1695574395&sprefix=cr2032,aps,166&sr=8-3
It's not being shipped for free. The item costs them 50cents. They are charging $1 for shipping and making 50cents profit. Or something similar to that. Basically increasing product cost to include shipping.

It's not being shipped for free. The item costs them 50cents. They are charging $1 for shipping and making 50cents profit. Or something similar to that. Basically increasing product cost to include shipping.
Once again you’re not taking into account the cost of labor, warehousing, packaging and all the other costs. I doubt they’re making 50 cents on the entire transaction let alone that much on shipping

While profit margins do vary the average company selling through Amazon makes a profit of 15%. If that’s the case with R J Sakowski’s example the seller made about 41 cents.

Are "shipping costs" as listed by a online vendor required to be completely paid to the actual carrier (UPS, FedEX, USPS ...)? I was under the impression that a company was allowed to charge whatever they wanted as a shipping cost, on the premise that they have to defray their own cost of boxing and handling the item. (Shipping and handling). Can they derive some profit off of "shipping charges"?

Are "shipping costs" as listed by a online vendor required to be completely paid to the actual carrier (UPS, FedEX, USPS ...)? I was under the impression that a company was allowed to charge whatever they wanted as a shipping cost, on the premise that they have to defray their own cost of boxing and handling the item. (Shipping and handling). Can they derive some profit off of "shipping charges"?
Yes. Yes they can. Not sure if they have to disclose it as "Shipping and Handling" or it can be just shipping.

Last edited:
Once again you’re not taking into account the cost of labor, warehousing, packaging and all the other costs. I doubt they’re making 50 cents on the entire transaction let alone that much on shipping

While profit margins do vary the average company selling through Amazon makes a profit of 15%. If that’s the case with R J Sakowski’s example the seller made about 41 cents

Yes. Yes they can. Not sure if they have to disclose it as "Shipping and Handling" or it can be just handling.
In which case I'm sure that there are plenty of marketing studies that say more sales will be made by shifting profit from the cost of the item to shipping costs. At least to a point, as compared to Amazon Prime that lures people in with fast free shipping. But I suspect that fast, free shipping is more of a mechanism to compete with physical retail and facilitate impulse purchasing. Plus the membership concept encourages site loyalty. It's all "Marketing"

Walmart's website will tell me it will ship for free, until I log in, then it says free shipping with Walmart+ membership, sign up here for an additional cost ...

Back