My Precision Mathews PM935TV Arrival/Setup

My PM935TV knee mill finally arrived last Tuesday and I have spent a few days last week getting it set up and personalized a bit.

First off, I must say that now after having it for nearly a week it is everything I had hoped for. The quality is extremely high end and compliments my PM1340GT very nicely.

I will admit that when the driver backed up to my shop and opened the door, my stomach jumped into my throat and I wanted to strangle the driver. The mill had tipped over onto its' side, broken through the pallet and was leaning against the inside of the truck box. It didn't go all the way over onto its' side but more horizontal than vertical. Evidently the driver was a bit aggressive at driving and the mill had pulled the four large lag bolts right up and out of the pallet it was sitting on. I jumped all over the driver and asked if he didn't see the large "TOP HEAVY" lettering on each of the four sides of the crate. Needless to say I did NOT tip the driver on this delivery.

He wanted to close up the truck and bring it back to their dock and get it stood upright with a forklift. Although a forklift would have been the best alternative, I didn't think it would make it another 30 miles back to Salt Lake City without going the rest of the way over and for sure creating more damage. I also didn't want to wait another 5-months to get another one. I wanted to get it upright and inspect prior to making any definitive decision.

Here is how it showed up at my home/shop.
2md5fv4.jpg

2mnp5cw.jpg

After removing three sides of the pallet/crate to get a better look.
30ii0d3.jpg

Luckily my son had just gotten home and was able to help me because the driver was absolutely worthless as far as helping. All he wanted to do was bring it back to their Salt Lake City transportation hub and really didn't want me messing with it. My son and I got the engine hoist up into the back of the truck and strapped the top of the column. We raised it about as far as we could with the hoist and got the weight up off of the head and away from the side of the truck so I could get a better visual of it. All I could see at this point was the small handle for the RPM that was broken. I was able to push it the last few degrees to get it vertical and standing back on the pallet flat on its' base. We shifted/jockied it around so I could drive the lag bolts back into the pallet and then we used a 10k pound ratchet strap to secure it to the pallet.

Once we got it out of the truck, on the ground and somewhat in place in my shop we removed the remainder of the plastic wrapping and did a thorough inspection. Unbelievably there was NO damage with the exception of the small handle for the dial. I called QMT and Matt was busy but I informed Nicole about what had transpired and she was awesome. After speaking with Matt she called back to ask a few more questions and I forwarded the pictures that I had taken to Matt.

Here it is close to its' new home in my shop.
2my7vrc.jpg

This was the only damage. No big deal and Matt was great to get a new one in the mail immediately.
2z8svo1.jpg

I got the pallet cut down so I could lift the mill off of the pallet and get it sitting on the floor. I then commenced on taking measurements for a base. I needed to get the mill a few inches up to make it more comfortable. After exchanging information with a few members of the forum who already own this machine I had originally decided I was going to build a base that was 4" in height combined with leveling feet which were 2" for a total of 6" overall height gain. I really liked the height in which it was sitting on the pallet which was closer to 8" overall height. That did it for me, so I embarked on fabricating a base that would raise the milling machine a total of 8". The base would bolt directly to the bottom of the mill yet be slightly wider at the footprint and employ leveling feet.

I started with some 2"x4"x.125" rectangular tubing and some 2"square tube x .125" wall.
29v198h.jpg

I machined some threaded bungs and welded them to the rectangular tubing to anchor the mill to the base.
1431ekl.jpg

I then welded the 2" square tubing to the 2"x4" rectangular tubing as well as gusseted it for strength.
2chu8pg.jpg

5frwic.jpg

Base completed, painted and sitting in front of the milling machine ready for installation.
29ymgyb.jpg

And there she is, sitting on her new base in her new home.
29bbrxi.jpg

fyo9zm.jpg

2q3nhgp.jpg

16kaqv9.jpg

So far this all took place on Tuesday. The truck backed up to my shop door just before 2:00PM and by 7:30PM it was sitting in its' final resting spot.

Now on to Wednesday morning. I took a couple of days off work to get it all set up and put my shop back together so I wanted to get right after it. I installed my 220VAC/30amp plug and she purred like a kitten. So nice and smooth running. I noticed immediately that none of the collets fit in the spindle and I kind of was expecting that due to other threads that I have read.

Here is how to remedy that. There is a small set screw on the back side of the quill that must be loosened to remove the collar.
2j0feh4.jpg

Next use a spanner wrench to remove the collar.
2hdd6i9.jpg

Once the collar is broken loose it should spin out freely by hand.
1195y13.jpg

Collar removed.
10ga80y.jpg

Once the collar is removed there is a set screw with another one under it. The top one is a locking set screw, remove it. Then back the inner one out just enough so that the collets, drill chucks and other tooling will fit into the spindle/quill freely. Once you are happy with the fit, install the outer set screw and tighten. Then reassemble everything in reverse order.

Now on to tramming the head. Got her dead on in both axis.
rkwo0o.jpg

119uhk1.jpg

I also installed the Eason ES-8A onto the machine and got it all hooked up and operational.

More to follow.

Mike.

Congrats for your new mill. It looks very nice. You have a terrific shop.....I wish mine could be that big and clean. Like the base you made for the new mill, I need one for mine.....need it a bit higher....no good to bend your knees or back to reach the front handwhell.

2md5fv4.jpg

2mnp5cw.jpg

30ii0d3.jpg

2my7vrc.jpg

2z8svo1.jpg

29v198h.jpg

1431ekl.jpg

2chu8pg.jpg

5frwic.jpg

29ymgyb.jpg

29bbrxi.jpg

fyo9zm.jpg

2q3nhgp.jpg

16kaqv9.jpg

2j0feh4.jpg

2hdd6i9.jpg

1195y13.jpg

10ga80y.jpg

rkwo0o.jpg

119uhk1.jpg

Congrats for your new mill. It looks very nice. You have a terrific shop.....I wish mine could be that big and clean. Like the base you made for the new mill, I need one for mine.....need it a bit higher....no good to bend your knees or back to reach the front handwhell.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliments. I agree on the base, with my last lathe I put up with it for 16+ years as I was always going to "get around to it" but never did. With this setup, I decided to set it up for comfort NOW or probably never would.

It is so much nicer on the back when working now. Both the lathe and mill are setup for my son and I to use comfortably. I also built a new pedestal for my Baldor grinder a few months ago that I had put up with for the past 15-ish or so years. Nice to not have to kneel down to sharpen drill bits or cutting tools.:))

hi
Nice mill, a bit to big for me, no room, but i like it. :thumbsup2:

I got my table drive from CDCO and the limit switch did come with a spacer. There will be some variation between the drives and how the parts mount. I used 20w-20 non detergent oil in my mill head.

Error - sourced from Shars. Would have edited the post but apparently that has timed out.

hi

Thanks. I agree with the room, had I had more of it I would have gone for a full-size 9x49 BP clone (PM machine) but can't afford to give up any more room or I wouldn't be able to fit vehicles in the shop to work on.

hi

Same here!

I would like to have one of those... however there is a space issue... that is, height...

A bench style head mill will have to do for now.

I would like to have one of those... however there is a space issue... that is, height...
Position it in a spot where the motor would extend up between ceiling joists, and cut through the sheetrock and box it in? I have seen pictures of that done before.

Where there is a will...

Position it in a spot where the motor would extend up between ceiling joists, and cut through the sheetrock and box it in? I have seen pictures of that done before.

Where there is a will...

Yeah, I know... However I do have a plan:

My alternative is; Get a PM version of a RF45 now, then shop for a used 2/3-3/4 or full sized Bridgeport and rebuild it. The space issue will resolve itself in a year or so.
I did find one that is CNC'ed... have not looked at it yet.

Then I will have a light duty small mill, and a big strong mill. Best of both worlds.

Yeah, I know... However I do have a plan:

My alternative is; Get a PM version of a RF45 now, then shop for a used 2/3-3/4 or full sized Bridgeport and rebuild it. The space issue will resolve itself in a year or so.
I did find one that is CNC'ed... have not looked at it yet.

Then I will have a light duty small mill, and a big strong mill. Best of both worlds.

Keep in mind a 2/3 or 3/4 size BP will be a clone as I believe the smallest vertical mill that Bridgeport made was a 9x42, I think I heard of a 9x36 but cannot confirm.

When you get into the 2/3 or 3/4 size BP clones most will not have nod, only tilt and their y-axis travel with be in the 8.75"-9" range. Jet JVM-830 and JVM-836 seem to be the most popular in that 2/3 or 3/4 size criteria. I believe Enco had a Taiwanese model a few years ago, model 100-1525 that I hear was a nice machine but again, did not have the nod feature and was only available in step pulley design. Nothing wrong with step pulley design but that particular model was limited on low and high RPM compared to the full-size mills.

I was actually looking for one for nearly a year before purchasing the PM-935TV but living in a machinery desert doesn't offer much. Good luck in your search, I know those smaller vertical mills are out there as I know a few people who have them, but then again when I tried buying them they wouldn't part with them. I guess that means they are happy with them at least.

I have seen a BP 9 x 36 so they do exist. Not many I think. The 9x42 is pretty common. What he said on the rest - I think the 8x30 knee mill types take up just about as much floor space as a full size 9x42 up, so might as well go for the real deal. I kinda have the same plan, maybe - stash cash (very hard to do!) and wait for a decent unit. Or just use the credit union and buy new.

Back