My Precision Mathews PM935TV Arrival/Setup

Thanks, dude. Not sure I'll bother with replacements, but I have indeed considered stock units to be a bit small compared to the Bridgeports I've operated at the local maker school I've attended.

I agree. At first when using the mill I thought they were a bit small compared to what I was used to but they worked fine so I didn't bother. The more and more I used the mill over the past week + it bothered me more and more and I had to place an order @ McMaster Carr the other day so I thought what the hell all four handles for less than $35.00 I am going to order them and be done with it. Now I am glad I did, they don't work any different but they look and feel better to me.

Mike,
I am going through the sparse documentation on our mills and have a few questions. Others can chime in with input also.

1. The parts diagram for the mill indicates there is a drawbar washer. I hunted around through the stuff shipped to me and could not find it. Did your unit come with one and if so, where did you find it?

2. What are you using for spindle oil? The manual indicates Mobil DTE Light. It looks like this is only sold in 5 gal pails.

Thanks,
-Joe

Hi All,

photo.JPG

Just received my PM-935TS today and it arrived in good shape. One thing that bothered me though is the way the limit switch for the x-axis power feed was attached to the table. It looks like the bracket was purposely bent (see photo) to clear the table casting rather than simply adding a spacer block. Anybody else have one like this? Did it bother you too? I wrote to Matt about it but haven't heard back.

Thanks.

Ed

P.S. I just looked at the last photo in post #36 of this thread and it looks like Mike's machine was installed exactly the same way. Not really consistent with the rest of the very high quality of the machine ?!?

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just received my PM-935TS today and it arrived in good shape. One thing that bothered me though is the way the limit switch for the x-axis power feed was attached to the table. It looks like the bracket was purposely bent (see photo) to clear the table casting rather than simply adding a spacer block. Anybody else have one like this? Did it bother you too? I wrote to Matt about it but haven't heard back.

Thanks.

Ed

P.S. I just looked at the last photo in post #36 of this thread and it looks like Mike's machine was installed exactly the same way. Not really consistent with the rest of the very high quality of the machine ?!?

Don't sweat it. Mine came like that out of the box.

It looks like the bracket was purposely bent (see photo) to clear the table casting rather than simply adding a spacer block.
That is the joy of owning a mill. 15 minutes with a $5 chunk of aluminum will make a spacer to make your heart sing with pride.

Not really consistent with the rest of the very high quality of the machine ?!?
Of note, the table power feed is an aftermarket add-on, installed by Matt, not installed at the factory, AFAIK. The power feed is a generic product, designed to fit almost any size and shape of mill, and requires ingenuity to make it fit in more than just a functional manner. Who even knows if the power feed was made in China or Taiwan.

If that is the only worry about the mill, than you have scored big time. No dents, bruises, etc, which is always a concern when a 1000-2000# lump of iron is shipped 2/3 of the way around the world by train, ship, and truck (reference zmotorsports mill....)

Same with mine. Never gave it a thought though, and I personally don't consider it an issue. Matt said the drive is a high quality product and I'm choosing to take him at his word. I have had no issues whatsoever with my machine and I'll be ordering a new lathe from him when I decide my savings for frivolous things is high enough.

-Ryan

You're all correct and I understand. It just struck me the wrong way. Pay no mind. When I took the side off the crate for whatever reason it was the first thing I saw. Just knowing Matt's attention to detail I was a little surprised.

Hi All,

View attachment 84069

Thanks.

Ed

My unit came the same way. I also needed to install the spring limit stops. No big deal the parts were in the box.

Thanks,
-Joe

I got my table drive from CDCO and the limit switch did come with a spacer. There will be some variation between the drives and how the parts mount. I used 20w-20 non detergent oil in my mill head.

Hi All,

View attachment 84069

Thanks.

Ed

It isn't bent Ed, that is just the design of that particular bracket. Make sure to install the spring style stops and adjust as they will contact the switch properly. The ones in the picture will not make proper contact.

As far as spindle oil, I just squirt a little AW68 hydraulic oil in it as that is what I have handy and use in my lathe gearbox and apron.

Back