My New Toys!

That is a staggering deal for two machines in good condition. Congrats!

Well now I have to make some space, the SB will go against the wall. The only wall space in the shop (shop is a corner of a barn, only two real walls, the other two are imaginary :biggrin: but on that wall is a workbench, so the bench will be moved to the center of the shop. I'm sure this will lead to many hip bumps and bruises but it will allow me to reach all the way around the table, and I'll put a vise on each corner. One with hard jaws, one with soft jaws, and maybe one with V jaws?

I have the space mostly cleared out, and will finish tomorrow and post some pictures of the space. The lathe needs at least 81" of space, I have 96 (8ft) but some more would be nice for gunsmithing work.

Picture this, Ruger 10/22 barrels cost about $150 chambered crowned and fit. I can buy the barrel blank for $40! That'll save a lot.....maybe I should start selling barrels?

Man, Andre, your dad must be doing pretty well to drop coin on a lathe. Goodness. Glad you got ahold of some new toys, buddy.

Andre. You have an awesome dad! , I know he just lent you the money, but I don't think my father would have done the same, and he was a great guy. :)

Well the DoAll grinder is in the shop safe and sound, the lathe will come later. All 3 axis run real smooth and spindle feels nice. Have not gotten to fire it up though.
Have a few choices to get the 220 up to 3 phase power, but that till come soon.

Don't have any photos of the machine on the ground, as I was closing the barn door I thought about it but I'll snap some tomorrow. Here was a picture of it on the JD410 coming in the shop.

photo (80).JPG

For anybody wondering about moving grinders around, even though this machine only weighs 900 pounds or so, 800 of it is at or above waist level. Meaning the machine is at VERY top heavy!

Lathe coming soon.....

photo (80).JPG

Well an update on the DoAll, been cleaning it up a little and removed probably a half pound of grit from it all so far. The table ways still have flaking marks on them! Checked the automatic oiler system, oil goes to all of the ways good which means none of the nozzles are clogged. Will get it leveled this week and will will get a VFD for it soon.

The South Bend is coming next Thursday, and the seller threw in a Starrett height gauge AND .000025 (I think) granite surface plate for $50.......yes, that is 25 millionths! It's old so I doubt it's that good anymore, but still a good deal.

Having the grinder in the shop and not wired is such a tease :biggrin:

I will finally get around to finishing that toolmakers square :) At least it's well seasoned now :lmao:

photo (81).JPG

Sorry about the mess in the background, I can assure you my part of the barn is much more organized :):shush:

photo (81).JPG

Lathe came in last night.....still have to slide it in place but it's almost there. Needs a good cleanup!

photo (87).JPG

Bridgeport and a South Bend......classic.

photo (87).JPG

Back